How to paint aluminum coping?

Woody007

Aug 20, 2020
Midwest US
Update: I found the Rustoleum flat white spray paint to be a perfect match for my coping. I was able to fix the worse areas by masking and spraying. You can't even tell where I did it since it matches so well.

My 20yr old coping is in need of refreshing. Seems like spray paint would be the best choice except for the fact I have a fiber optic cable running around the perimeter of the pool, and it's embedded in the coping. I'm not going to take it out and masking it off would be a huge undertaking.
I'm considering using a brush, but is it going to leave brush marks that will look like Crud? I'm thinking Rustoleum flat white.
Any great ideas on how to paint this?

Attachments

• Pool Lights.JPG
    Pool Lights.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I would spend the time to mask the fiber optic cable and the surrounding area then spray paint it.

Reactions: Woody007
Painting sounds like an easy task but these’s more to it then you’d think. I would seek advice from a professional trade shop or product help or advice numbers from individual products.

You‘d think marine grade would be a good match for a pool but marine paints are often formulated to be more flexible rather then more resilient to the elements.

A good undercoat is essential. Raw aluminum needs a good etch primer but etch primer has sulfuric acid and will eat into and weaken the bond of old paint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.