Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am hoping someone can tell me how to make a 50ppm standard solution so I can test my abilities to accurately test my pool water. I have a postal scale that will measure in small amounts and some 100% CYA granules.

Anyone want to help out?

I had thought about this at one point.
Using Poolmath page,
1000Gal
0 to 50ppm CYA
Add 6.7oz by weight CYA

So dividing that by 10 to get to 100 gallons, we have .67oz
Divide by 10 again to get to 10 gallons, we have 0.067oz (1.899418grams)

Seems possible, but you talking mixing a small amount of CYA to a large amount of water and mixing it in well.

Using Pool Math, 1 gram in 20 liters = 50 ppm. Seems doable if you're motivated enough. What's the resolution and accuracy of your postal scale?

Alternatively you could buy liquid stabilizer if it's easier to measure out milliliters rather than grams.

Or buy the official R-7065 Standard solution for $5 and be sure... LOL

Well I am a little concerned now. I got in my 50ppm test CYA solution and ran my test on it. I would have called it 60 not 50. So I think my CYA levels may be higher than I am reading them at. I will try to get a decent picture of the black dot at exactly 50 in the tube and see what you all think.

Well I am a little concerned now. I got in my 50ppm test CYA solution and ran my test on it. I would have called it 60 not 50. So I think my CYA levels may be higher than I am reading them at. I will try to get a decent picture of the black dot at exactly 50 in the tube and see what you all think.

yeah, I think lower.

Anyway it doesn't matter what we think (or see). You have the test answer so now you have to figure out a test method that produces 50 for you.

How are you doing it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to add my experience....

I bought the R-7065 standard solution and when I did the outside back to the sun thing, it looked like 40 to me, not 50.

When I went indoors in a reasonably well lit room, then it looked like 50. So, now I just do my CYA test indoors.

It does help to calibrate the eye to what taylor wants you to see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.