How to isolate/use Shasta hot tub?

krisney

Jan 2, 2024
AZ
Hi everyone, I have a Shasta pool and elevated hot tub with spillover built in 2005, with manual valves. My pool person has tried to explain this many times, but I am still not getting it after two years of owning this house :)
I would like to be able to start using the hot tub only during the winter. I assume I am supposed to turn off the spillover, to heat the hot tub and avoid spilling hot water into my cold pool.
My pool person had said to manipulate both the Spa Return and Suction valves to recirculate the Spa water. (I assume to the heater?)

Does this sound right to you guys? Thank you! I am very afraid to try this :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to TFP.

In POOL mode suction to the pump comes from the pool skimmer and main drain and return is mostly to the pool and a bit to the spa for the spillover.

In SPA mode you want to change the suction valve to be from the spa and change the return valve so all water goes to the spa and none to the pool.

You can see the opposite end of the handle says OFF and is pointed to the SPA suction.

It is not clear to me on this valve which way you turn it to turn off the POOL suction...

1704254188901.png

Your return valve is letting water flow to both the pool and spa pipes. But I don't know if the pool return pipe is to the left or right side of the valve.

1704254323898.png

Show us pics of all your plumbing and labels for us to see which way these valves are plumbed if you need more help.

Welcome to TFP.

In POOL mode suction to the pump comes from the pool skimmer and main drain and return is mostly to the pool and a bit to the spa for the spillover.

In SPA mode you want to change the suction valve to be from the spa and change the return valve so all water goes to the spa and none to the pool.

You can see the opposite end of the handle says OFF and is pointed to the SPA suction.

It is not clear to me on this valve which way you turn it to turn off the POOL suction...

View attachment 548275

Your return valve is letting water flow to both the pool and spa pipes. But I don't know if the pool return pipe is to the left or right side of the valve.

View attachment 548276

Show us pics of all your plumbing and labels for us to see which way these valves are plumbed if you need more help.
Thank you so much! Here are some pictures…

Turn your valves as the pic shows below when you want to isolate and heat the spa.

Return the valves to the positions in the pic to go back to the POOL mode.

You may also want to turn Valve 2 - Spa Therapies - 90 degrees clockwise to open flow to what is probably the spa jets.

1704317232994.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.