how to install a stenner pump?

Here's a 1½" slip x 1½" slip x ½" NPT that would work without having to do anything but screw the stenner fitting into it.

402-209.jpg

They make the same thing in 2"x2"x½" if your plumbing is 2".

Ok, moving forward....

I decided to buy the Stenner Tank/Pump combo just to have it all ready for the PB.

I have a slight area of confusion....the installation paperwork has conflicting information. Once set of instructions mentions you need to setup a hose for a spill recovery to flow back into the tank, and then another set does not show that.

What is nice about the Stenner tank, is that it is already plumbed (EXCEPT IT DOES NOT HAVE A SETUP FOR THIS RECOVERY)

Does anyone know if this is really required and what would happen if I followed the Stenner directions that don't mention it ?

Below is the two documents to help you understand.

[attachment=1:3lmag4n5]stenner tank install.jpg[/attachment:3lmag4n5]

[attachment=0:3lmag4n5]stenner tank install spill.jpg[/attachment:3lmag4n5]

Attachments

• stenner tank install.jpg
    stenner tank install.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 621
  • stenner tank install spill.jpg
    stenner tank install spill.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 615
The spill recovery hose is in case you have chemicals that can't be spilled, or if you're in a location that doesn't allow spills. If the pump tube leaks it routes the spillage back to the tank instead of letting it drain onto the ground. Since all we're dealing with is relatively weak bleach, letting a little drain on the ground if the pump tube splits isn't a big deal. I don't have the recovery tube on mine.

Ok, so I have to ask a follow up question...thanks for your patience.

I travel a bunch and reason for this install it to allow a bit of unattended chlorine flow. If the feed tube splits say, I assume the pump will of course keep running and this recovery tube will do no good.

So I guess I am just trying to understand EXACTLY where a leak would route back...is it if the pickup tube splits ?

The recovery tube is only if the pump tube leaks. Since that's the most failure prone part of a peristaltic pump that's the greater risk and therefore the reason for the tube.

The chance of the pickup tube leaking is minor and if it split it would only leak out a few drops of bleach as it would allow air into the system and the pump wouldn't pickup the bleach. If the discharge tubing were to leak you could potentially leak a container full of bleach, but again the failure rate of the tubing is very very low so there's not much of a chance of that happening.

I just got my stenner pump and tank last night. It seems like I remember seeing a thread that of a way to install the pump without having to tap the PVC pipe. I can't seem to find that thread anymore. I beleve it said that one could pump the chlorine through either the drain plug of a pump, or maybe it was the water inlet tube on the existing inline puch chlorinator. I can't seem to remember.

Am I remembering this correctly? I would really like to avoid drilling the PVC pipe if I can avoid it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, this is interesting stuff. I am a new pool owner and this pool gets about 10-12 hours of direct sun. The pool is just about ready to be turned on so I have not added any chemicals yet and test kit is being delivered next week. Since I have learned that the sun reduces the chlorine levels and with the amount of sun this pool will get I figured I needed to see what was out there to help automate so I searched automatic chlorinators. Out of all of the various ones I read about this one is very interesting to me.

For you guys that use it do you still like it and after using it for a while, would you do it again?
Am I a good candidate for a system like this?
Any liner staining problems?

I do have a big bucket of hockey pucks but I really don't want to overdose the CYA, although I haven't added any yet...
Are those tablet dispensers a waste of money?
Do they make bleach pucks without the CYA? If so, is that a good option?

Personally the injection pump is the best option bar none. However, I'm sure some people who use a different form of chlorination will vehemently disagree with me, and that's ok.

It's still working great for me and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Tablet feeders aren't a good choice because they don't make pucks without CYA.

I can't wait to set up my Stenner... Its the part I'm looking forward to the most.... I will be ordering the big 15 gallon tank for mine, as they're so cheap at the moment... Only $20 difference between the 7.5 and the 15 gallon... Easy choice really.... Thank you for clarifying about the return hose... I was wondering about that, and its good to know I don't have to do it... :) If a little bleach spills its no big deal... :)

Personally the injection pump is the best option bar none. However, I'm sure some people who use a different form of chlorination will vehemently disagree with me, and that's ok.

It's still working great for me and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Tablet feeders aren't a good choice because they don't make pucks without CYA.

Agreed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.