Schaumburg, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
Thanks to help here, I'm well on my way to a TFP! I've got a handle on the daily tasks, but have a couple of vacations coming up:

1) For Memorial Day, we'll be gone from around noon on Friday until around the same time Monday
2) We'll be gone 2.5 weeks later in the summer

Assume for the sake of argument that right before each of these events, pH and CH are in acceptable range, TA is around 80 and CYA is 40. FC is 5-7 and CC is zero.

For the shorter trip, can I just bring the FC up to shock level and let it burn down over the course of ~3 days? Should I cover the pool?

For the longer one, I imagine I'll need to use Trichlor. I do have a Hayward inline feeder that I think will hold up to 10 tablets. I have five, but can get more if needed. Is that the best route? Should I cover the pool? Should I raise it to shock level before I leave to provide some overhead? How many pucks for 17 days on an 11k gallon pool in Illinois?

The best method to handle vacations seems to be having a neighbor, friend, or relative take over your dosings while you are gone. The worst is to turn off the pump and do nothing. Most people are somewhere in between.

I will typically lower my CYA closer to 30 in the week or so leading up to "Wheels up," increase my pH to 7.8 and FC to SLAM levels, and pack a floater with as many tablets as it can handle.

If you have a cover, use it.

Edit: You may want to search the site for other "Vacation" threads for advice by folks in your part of the country. They might be more relevant based on climate.

Just a thought....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.