How to handle newly refilled pool over winter

We just fixed a catastrophic leak in our pool that drained it dry. (I wrote about the cause in another thread and it proved to be an easy to fix with no impact on anything really. The only real casualty was a leaky pump seal due to it running with minimal water for many hours. Any easy fix I’ve handled before.)

We are in northern CA with no freezing problem. We also have a pool cover.

The pool was just refilled and I’ve got the pH corrected and the Cl level up and stable. Ca is a little low (130 ppm) but our make up water is high in Ca so I may just let it creep up slowly.

I’m torn as to whether I should add stabilizer and salt or wait until spring. For the previous 10 winters , the salt generator has worked intermittently as the pool temperature flirts with the low temp cutoff. It works well enough that I need to add liquid chlorine perhaps once a month. As to stabilizer, the cover is only off for 10 minutes a week to check the chemistry.

One set of logic says to keep the chemistry simple. Without CYA, I can get by with lower levels of chlorine. Come late March when the solar heating starts to warm up the pool, I can add the salt and CYA.

The other set of logic says get everything done now. The downside is that with CYA the chlorine generator probably won’t run enough to maintain the higher Cl levels.

Advice?

At a minimum add 30 ppm CYA.

Up to you on the salt. Doubtful you will get massive overflow during the winter (or do you?) and thus the salt will not go to waste. Or just wait and run as a normal chlorinated pool. Keep your FC at the upper level of your target regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.