How to get water clear

If you have new chunks of stuff floating in the pool something is going on...even if it isn't exactly what you wanted to see in terms of progress.

Did you mean backwashing when pressure gets high? If your filter is gaining pressure hitting plus 25% and you are backwashing and seeing the sight glass go from dirty to clear the filter is doing work. How long is it taking for you to go through one of these pressure gain cycles?
Yes that’s what I meant. About every 4 hours the water coming out of the jet is slower. That’s when I backwash. I didn’t know I was supposed to run the rinse cycle after backwash. So I wasn’t doing that at first. The last 2 days I have been and that’s when I started seeing the white cotton looking substance.

Reactions: RookiePick
It’s highly unlikely that you have white water mold development at
SLAM Process fc levels. Are you sure it’s not cotton wood fluff?
As I read more I was thinking the slam level would prevent it from suddenly appearing. I am not sure if it’s wood fluff. I will post pictures in the morning. Our pool is surrounded by a type of tree/shrub. (Pic attached of trees)

Attachments

• AD08C88A-802A-4B3D-BDD7-0EF4D4EEF417.jpeg
    AD08C88A-802A-4B3D-BDD7-0EF4D4EEF417.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 12
It’s so hard to tell because of the clouds, but the white fuzzy chunks go as deep as you can see. And it’s everywhere.

Attachments

• 2B7E8406-CEBF-4C07-8747-E372B5FE0A8E.jpeg
    2B7E8406-CEBF-4C07-8747-E372B5FE0A8E.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 13
  • AF06D0D0-14A1-4F3B-9CA4-191D0ADF28CE.jpeg
    AF06D0D0-14A1-4F3B-9CA4-191D0ADF28CE.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 67274815-0C3F-4B6E-882D-10CD0E041684.jpeg
    67274815-0C3F-4B6E-882D-10CD0E041684.jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 15
  • 771B3839-B9AE-4241-850C-33B2A4182CCE.jpeg
    771B3839-B9AE-4241-850C-33B2A4182CCE.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 15
I think that is dope going into the mpv- you should be able to unscrew it after cutting out the frog 🐸 then replace the frog line with pvc that has a union near the filter similar to what has been done on the intake side.
IMG_6433.jpeg
If you want to keep the frog you can just add a union to the grey nipple between the frog & filter. Measure twice 📏 cut once !
Try to collect some of the white stuff

As I read more I was thinking the slam level would prevent it from suddenly appearing. I am not sure if it’s wood fluff. I will post pictures in the morning. Our pool is surrounded by a type of tree/shrub. (Pic attached of trees)
looks like leyland cypress trees and if they are, these trees do not pollen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
looks like leyland cypress trees and if they are, these trees do not pollen.
Here in the southern United States cottonwood trees are all over the place & their “fluff” can travel a long way.
even if you don’t any on your property it can end up in your pool. It is similar to dandelion fluff.

Here in the southern United States cottonwood trees are all over the place & their “fluff” can travel a long way.
even if you don’t any on your property it can end up in your pool. It is similar to dandelion fluff.
It's not just the southern US, same in northern Ohio. Closest cottonwood tree I have found to me is roughly a quarter mile away, yet I have skimmed enough cottonwood "fluff" out of my pool for my girls to produce makeshift pillows to use for their dolls. Some days, I'll walk by someone's yard and it looks like it snowed, but it's cottonwood. Usually about a 4-6 week period for us, anywhere from late april to mid June depending upon the year.

Reactions: Mdragger88
@stonefamily can you share all your latest test results so we can get a better idea of what’s happening
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya
Fc at 6:40 was 13.5 (I added half a gallon of liquid chlorine. I couldn’t stay and recheck to see but based on pool math that should have gotten me back up to the slam level of 16)

Just now at 12
FC 13
CC .5
PH is slightly lighter than the lowest on the tester of 6.8
TA is 70
Ch is 125
Cya is 40

I think that is dope going into the mpv- you should be able to unscrew it after cutting out the frog 🐸 then replace the frog line with pvc that has a union near the filter similar to what has been done on the intake side.
View attachment 501536
If you want to keep the frog you can just add a union to the grey nipple between the frog & filter. Measure twice 📏 cut once !
Try to collect some of the white stuff
I tried to collect some. But as soon as it touches the net it just disintegrates.

I tried to collect some. But as soon as it touches the net it just disintegrates.
Your numbers look ok - the ph test is invalid at fc levels above 10ppm so if the fc falls test it again.
You can point your jets up to aerate the water & help raise the ph some in the meantime incase it really is that low since your ta is not low.
If it is white water mold the slam should take care of it. Hopefully you can get the sand cleaned too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.