How to get surface scum in stock tank?

BobStrauss

Apr 19, 2021
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’ve got a stock tank pool that I put together earlier this summer. Using the TF-100 kit, I’ve been able to keep the water under control without any algae blooms or anything. Latest numbers are FC 6.0, CC 0.0, TA 60, pH 7.5, CH 200, CYA 50, Borates 50.
However, one ongoing issue I have is with the scum left over from sunscreen after swimming. Our stock tank only has the intake to a cartridge filter below the surface, no skimmer that could pick up what floats on top. I naively purchased a hot tub/spa cleaner recommended on someone’s Pinteresty blog that was claimed to help, but that seems to be floc - which clears up the pool but also clogs my cartridge filters.
Any recommendations on how to deal with this? I’ve tried scumballs but they didn’t seem to accomplish anything.

Bob, if you can I'd suggest avoiding the use of sunscreen while in the pool. I know that's strange, but you have an unusual pool, right?

If this is just a scum line some manual wiping with MyteeMitt or Mr Clean magic sponge and a bit of elbow grease may be all you can do.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: BobStrauss
Hmmm not the magical solution I was hoping for but thanks for letting me know.
Would it be dumb next year to get a sand filter instead, then just keep using the spa cleaner solution to get things cleared? Does the floc gum up those as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.