Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Of course it is finally warm enough to swim and bees all of a sudden are hanging out on my waterfall. I had a bee keeper out and he confirmed there is no hive on my property, but there is surely one nearby. On one of my walks I did notice a hive on my neighbors front porch in the soffit but I have yet to get in contact with him.

According to google satellite images, these bees are buzzing past two other pools to get to me! The beekeeper thinks they like the water that pools in my waterfall, and from the google images, the other pools have no apparent water features. I just put salt in the pool as I hit the one month mark from fresh plaster and it has no effect. The beekeeper also suggested I run my waterfall for an extended period of time as the turbulence will annoy them but that didn't work either. I also put a few chlorine tabs in the waterfall and again they didn't care.

I really don't want to kill any bees, but I cant seem to find any product or decoy that will deter them. I am now leaning toward some form of trap, or a dishsoap solution, in hopes that if the scouts/messengers stop returning to the hive, they will stop sending bees my way. Thoughts?

One of my neighbors claims to know the "bee house" folks, and I will probably get the HOA involved, as the hive is pretty apparent from the street and looks to be good size.

Have you tried turning off your waterfall to see if the bees will go elsewhere?

Yes but it doesn’t make much difference. It’s a natural stone waterfall so there are places the water pools when it is off. That’s also where I thought chunks of trichlor tabs would help but nope.

Are we talking happy bumblebees or wasps/hornets that want to fight to the death ? If it’s the friendly kind, plant some bee-friendly bushes/plants away from the pool and give them somewhere better to *bee*

Reactions: dgates01
No the wasps are another deal. I am constantly killing their nests. They swoop down to get water from the pool and then leave me alone so not a huge deal. The bees are hanging out and I have a two year old so of course my wife is terrified.

Reactions: Newdude
If it helps mentally, you pretty much have to squish a bumblebee to get stung. I just removed a Xmas tree like bush that had a nest. They watched me do it and we all happily coexisted. The next day there were a dozen or two buzzing around the hole where the Bush used to be and they watched me plant smaller plants. Anytime I invaded their air space they moved. Love them things !!!

I’d try giving them a new/improved place to congregate.

Reactions: S-Merry
Another thought is to plant citronella. I begrudgingly tried them after years of uselessness from any last candle, wristlet or anything else that was citronella scented. We put 2 by my front porch and found that there were no more *anything that flew* there. I happily bought the next 6 plants and put them by the hangout spots near the pool with similar results.

I had read about some plants they don't like so I might try that. Citronella would help with the mosquitos too I would guess. I did try dryer sheets to no avail. Was also thinking moth balls.

Are they honeybees or carpenter bees? We have a real problem with carpenter bees. Those are the big ones that drill holes in your woodwork.

We got several of these Carpenter Bee Traps and they work a treat! No more bees in the pool or in the skimmer!

As for honeybees, you can set up an alternate water source that's still water. Be sure to put a mosquito dunk in it. They're most likely coming from your neighbor's house, like you suspect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we get honey bees too, they love the pool. Like another poster said, the suggestion I have heard is another water source away from the pool. the problem is you have to refill it nearly daily. give them something to perch on too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.