Cobnot

Jun 29, 2021
Medina, ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, first time pool owner here so I'll be having many questions. The issue nagging me right now is trying to figure out which way to aim my return jets? I know the picture below is not the greatest but I have 1 skimmer (circled below) and 3 return (marked with a red line).

The pool is 41x16 fiberglass. 3' deep on shallow end and 6'5 deep in deep end. No tanning ledges just a few bench steps in all 4 corners.

The returns on the right wall are at 12' in from the shallow end and 8' in on the deep end. Opposite wall has 1 return at 17' in from deep end and the skimmer is in 25' in from deep end.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chuck

PoolReturns1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I have a very similar shape/size pool, and my returns are on one end while the skimmer is on the opposite end. Not sure why this installer did it this way? :scratch: Well, all you can do is adapt. Keep in mind return jets do two things for us. The help to keep chlorinated water circulated and move surface debris to the skimmer. Return jets do their best to move water, but struggle if the wind is pushing in another direction. All you can do is "try" to encourage water to move where you want it.

If your primary concern is surface debris, I see two options. One is to aim the 2 jets opposite from the skimmer back to the skimmer. The 3rd jet by itself angle toward the skimmer as much as possible. You also have the option of aiming ALL return jets left (clockwise) "hoping" that debris would eventually make it around to the skimmer. That is probably a stretch, especially if it's windy out.

If your primary concern is to mix chlorinated water in as many areas as possible, you could angle all the return jets about 45 degrees left, or try the counter-clockwise option and monitor pool corners for algae growth due to dead spots.

Feel free to toss some packing peanuts or ping pong balls on the water to test your return jet performance. No one perfect answer, but based on prevailing wind direction do your best. In fact, maybe use the wind direction to your advantage, at least for surface debris.

Reactions: Northern cannonball
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.