The Villages, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Do we have any folks here that know what I would need to do to add a rail now that the pool is done? I don't want a plastic rail, I want a steel rail. I'm looking at one of these - https://swanpoolrails.com/

I have two pics - one shows the pool shell before the pavers were installed - you can see there is packed sand from the edge of the pool to the cut concrete several feet back. The other is after the pavers were put in.

I am assuming I would have to have the pavers lifted up, sand dug out and a large enough block of concrete poured to secure the rail anchors and provide adequate depth support for the rail to handle people grabbing and lifting themselves with it.

It has to be bonded - can they bond it to the pool since it is only packed sand?

Once in place, the sand would have to be repacked, then pavers replaced.

Am I missing anything here? Any thoughts?

Before Pavers.JPG

After Pavers.jpg

Smarter people than I will chime in, but you would probably need to anchor it in cement. I would try to find the bonding wire that goes in your light niche (or however your pool was bonded) and get that to the anchors for the rail. I don’t think packed sand would give it enough support over the long term.

I added one to my existing pool, so I rented a core drill, drilled holes for the railing anchors, and cemented the anchors in my deck (yes, there is a special cement for that). I also bonded it to the rebar (though that probably isn’t the best way to do it).

Can you elaborate as to the size of substantial?

I looked at the Saftron rails - don't like the look all that much. If I'm going to all the work of adding a rail, I'm going to add one from https://swanpoolrails.com/. Probably the Flamingo one in Bronze.

I'm probably going to hire this out... not sure where to look - Pool builder, folks who put the deck in (they work with the PB), or look for a pool guy that does stuff on the side. Any suggestions?

Can you elaborate as to the size of substantial?

I looked at the Saftron rails - don't like the look all that much. If I'm going to all the work of adding a rail, I'm going to add one from https://swanpoolrails.com/. Probably the Flamingo one in Bronze.

I'm probably going to hire this out... not sure where to look - Pool builder, folks who put the deck in (they work with the PB), or look for a pool guy that does stuff on the side. Any suggestions?

These are awesome. I want the pink flamingo! The sample photo in that color is, well, it's interesting :oops:

I got a quote for this which was $1200. It included core drilling my deck to install the saftron mounting cup (poured in concrete) and the rail itself. With my poured deck it is not practical to search for the bonding wire. I suspect your installation will be similarly priced perhaps a little more since you would need a substantial foundation of cement to attach the rail anchors. Just call a couple pool places and get some quotes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.