How to add CYA?

I've had the same experience. If I recall correctly, the Walmart HTH brand seemed to be more "flake like", for lack of a better term.
My wallyworld doesn't carry the hth brand, but it does have AQUA CHEM MY SALT POOL SALTWATER STABILIZER in 6.5lb containers for $21.57 incl tax. It's 100% cya. I have to do another test to see what my cya level is now that my pump is running again. Somehow my cya dropped 20ppm for no discernable reason last week while I was gone and my pump quit at some point during that time.

Was there a difference in the size of the granules?

I recall the Walmart brand was almost round (?) and much lighter weight per volume, as if they had reconstituted it as a thinner fluffier paste before drying it. The pool store brand was hard, angular chunks as if they had taken solid rock and ground it up in a mill. So the density would be different. You may be able to tell by the volume of the box vs weight, but only if they are in similar containers and one is 5 lbs and the other is 4 lbs -- which may be what I remember, I dunno, it has been quite a while. That was when we were fixing a friend's pool down in Galveston and had to bring her SWG pool up from 0 to 85 ppm CYA so we had to buy in a few different places.

I just put 2lbs of the AQUA CHEM MY SALT POOL SALTWATER STABILIZER I just picked up at walmart in each of two socks. It came in a 6.5 lb bottle. Had tiny round beads that after about 2 hrs has almost completely dissolved. I've squeezed each one once and that resulted in a white cloud.

I know this is an old thread,but I found it helpful so i thought I'd post a pic of my first attempt at adding "stabilizer"/cya to my pool. My wife doesn't know i raided her sock drawer :) Thats a broom handle holding the 2 in 1 hose in front of a return jet. Its only holding ~2lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 402
Good advice and info from this thread.

I added my 1st CYA product to my pool yesterday (Sat 12/05 U.S. time) afternoon. I used the "sock in Skimmer" method with 21 Oz of CYA product.

All of the visible product was gone/dissolved 6 hours later. The pump was running about 5 hours of that time.

I used this product from my local Home Depot store. It's been mentioned in this thread for its faster dissolving characteristics. That seems to have worked for me as well.

CYA.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No matter what I am adding (with the exception of salt) I always dissolve it first in a 25 gal barrel, then dump in the pool when fully dissolved.
CYA is the worst, it takes a few days to dissolve.
Bakng Soda and Calcium Cholrite dissolve easily.

If you are starting at ZERO CYA, I don't see how pucks would ever get you into the desired range unless you were dissolving 20 or more at a time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.