How to: Add a deep end bench to a Vinyl Pool

N8Utah

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2020
Utah
We are in the middle stages of planning our pool build and learning a lot on this forum! I have been reading everything I can find on benches but still have a few questions I can't seem to answer. We are designing a 20x50 Vinyl lined pool and will be doing the work ourselves. So far we have planned out: 48 inch steel walls with a more traditional pool base where it goes from shallow to 8 ft in the deep end, autocover, no diving board but a slide. We want to add a bench the full width of the 20 foot side of the deep end but how do you build that on a vinyl pool? Does it have to part of the kit or can it be done separate from buying it as part of the kit? The kit we are looking at says they will only do it on non diving depth pools but we would really like to keep the 8ft deep end. Has anyone built one and can explain to me how you did it or even better have pictures of the process? This video is probably closest to what we are wanting to do, where it is on that end and the autocover has a walk-able cover over it (Bench Across Pool’s Deep End – Ask the Pool Guy) but I am not sure how to do it. What is the structure under the vinyl? Thoughts?

I'm not a real pool person....I have an intex, but I watched the video because I'm dreaming of a pool one day and I love all things pool, and in the video he said he basically built 2 walls and filled with concrete. So, in my head, I'm thinking he built the pool walls and then on that end he added another pool wall, obviously lower than the pool structure wall and sitting how ever many inches you want it in depth from the pool structure wall, and then filled in between the 2 with concrete. I'd guess that when the deep end is dug out, the ledge that the wall sits on is built to be the width of the pool wall and the inside wall. He speaks of a rod pocket that holds the vinyl on that love seat and I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, not knowing much of anything about inground pools, that's just my best guess from the video, and I could be totally wrong! I hope you post pics of your build. That's going to be a big pool! I love looking at build threads. Good luck!

I'm not a real pool person....I have an intex, but I watched the video because I'm dreaming of a pool one day and I love all things pool, and in the video he said he basically built 2 walls and filled with concrete. So, in my head, I'm thinking he built the pool walls and then on that end he added another pool wall, obviously lower than the pool structure wall and sitting how ever many inches you want it in depth from the pool structure wall, and then filled in between the 2 with concrete. I'd guess that when the deep end is dug out, the ledge that the wall sits on is built to be the width of the pool wall and the inside wall. He speaks of a rod pocket that holds the vinyl on that love seat and I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, not knowing much of anything about inground pools, that's just my best guess from the video, and I could be totally wrong! I hope you post pics of your build. That's going to be a big pool! I love looking at build threads. Good luck!
I am with you, I have been a pool dreamer for awhile too. With the two walls my questions would be if you are using a steel walled kit what would the inner bench wall be made of? And how do fasten it to the steel wall at the ends? But you have a good point, you could dig out the bench like a small shelf on that deep end and then build the wall on that. I was picturing running the wall the full depth of the deep end, but the dig sounds way better and easier.

I have a liner pool under construction with a deep end bench similar to what you are thinking. Big difference is that I have concrete walls as opposed to steel walls. I will look for pics and see what I can find about that part of the process. I probably also have time lapse video I can go through. Attached is a pic of it when the pool was being filled.

Attachments

• filling 2.JPG
    filling 2.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.