amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Putting my EC-65 back together with new top sheet, screws and diaphragm gasket. Forever and ever, I've been following directions for "hands tight." I've always used socket wrench and box end wrenches and just snugged them up. But now I'm old and had some nerve damage on my right hand this winter and the hand is still weak. I'm replacing the tube sheet screws and nuts using nut driver and open end wrench. One wrinkle is, according to the pool store, Hayward is not making replacement parts at the moment (at least the top tube sheet) and they're out of them everywhere (he's right, I could not find one). My old one has tiny cracks in several places, most of which do not go completely through. He suggested using a bottom sheet as the top sheet. I'm doing that but the molded seat for the bump handle retainer ("C" clip) is raised on the bottom sheet and recessed on the top sheet. I'm not sure I can get the assembly snug enough that I can fit the washer AND the retainer into the appropriate recessed slot on the top side of bump shaft.

So: how tight is "hand" tight when your hand is weak and will a retainer and washer not in the recessed slot work?

Attachments

• 20220622_103231.jpg
    20220622_103231.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 6
I cannot follow the detail of your current issue but I can help define "hand tight"

I, too, have age weakend hands. So I turn as tightly as I can with my hand an then do a 1/4 turn with a wrench which I think is sufficient

Here's the difference between top tube sheet and bottom tube sheet. There is a recess for the washer and retainer to sit in... There's no way tho crank those screws down enough to give sufficient room on the bump shaft for both a washer and the retainer clip!

I'm a bit po'd at the pool store. Took it apart, using the old piece. Will return it. Finally found an online source (I hope. We'll see if it actually ships.)

My wrist will never forgive me for all those screws🙄

Attachments

• 20220622_113039.jpg
    20220622_113039.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220622_113050.jpg
    20220622_113050.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 2
And here it is complete. Now I am satisfied. Hopefully nothing leaks and this top sheet lasts until September when I take everything apart for cleaning before storage ..

Not sure everything is appropriately hand tight but my wrist and forearm are DONE for now and I need filtration yesterday!!!

Attachments

• 20220622_120910.jpg
    20220622_120910.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 0
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.