How picky is too picky?

Dirk I always put a hair of pitch on my copings. Standard way is to have a 12" level with the bubble touching the back line. On complex pools and with waterfalls that changes. When adding a waterfall or sheer decent wall you slowly adjust amd pitch away from the feature into the pool so water doeant collect at the bottom. There are lots of coping installed dead level and just the deck has slight pitch. Sometimes you have to level it for the shape and lay of the pool

Jimmy, wife has a question about the grout spacing between our coping pieces...since the grout lines on this first install are unsightly can they but them up against each other and float just a hair-line of grout to fill the small gap? Installer didn't use spacers to begin with, just eyeballed it. Didn't know if the grout lines were even necessary.

In freeze climates a grout joint is necessary to seal out water. In TX if your south you can butt them. The tighter the joint the better your cuts have to be. Tile spacers should always be used, eyeballing doesn't work well, even for old masons that have been doing it forever

Reactions: trophft
In freeze climates a grout joint is necessary to seal out water. In TX if your south you can butt them. The tighter the joint the better your cuts have to be. Tile spacers should always be used, eyeballing doesn't work well, even for old masons that have been doing it forever

My first pool builders built without grouted joints, I loved the look. My current builder would not. What they did was butt all the pieces together and take a giant stone saw to cut the joints straight. I thought that was pretty ingenious and definitely hard work.

Luckily the new coping being ordered has pre-cast corner pieces (inside corners as well as outside corners) so no mitered cuts this time, only a few straight edge cuts might be needed on the straightaways. Hopefully that helps with the overall look.
1614445189873.png1614445189873.png

They come to demo the old coping tomorrow and install new coping Fri or Sat! Is it unreasonable to ask them to cover the pool and tape off the waterline tile to minimize collateral damage/mess from the demo? When they replaced a few pieces last time they left tons of busted concrete, grout debris, and sediment in the bottom of our pool from grinding/chiseling out the old coping. They also let globs of mortar fall into the pool and harden on our spa bench and smudged all over our waterline tiles. Don't want to do more damage than already expected!

Is it unreasonable to ask them to cover the pool and tape off the waterline tile to minimize collateral damage/mess from the demo?

It is not unreasonable but outside their normal scope of work. They may not have tarps and tapes on their truck. It would have been better if you gave them a heads up that is what you wanted them to do.

When I had some work done around my pool I put my own poly tarps on my pool to catch the debris. I had no confidence they would protect the water to my satisfaction and I did it myself.

It is not unreasonable but outside their normal scope of work. They may not have tarps and tapes on their truck. It would have been better if you gave them a heads up that is what you wanted them to do.

When I had some work done around my pool I put my own poly tarps on my pool to catch the debris. I had no confidence they would protect the water to my satisfaction and I did it myself.

The PB just emailed me a few mins ago letting me know schedule (not a big heads up), but I guess it is expecting too much. If i run to walmart tonight and lay some down I'm afraid tomorrow someone will accidentally turn on my equipment, suck tarp into skimmer, and burn up my pump! (worst case scenario) .... just paranoid because I've taken pride in my TFP and got it crystal clear and balanced all winter, and now i'm leaving it in the hands of the same crew that started this whole mess. Could be worse, at least they are honoring the contract and replacing the defective coping so should be grateful for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I always have some tarps available in the garage. You never know when the roof springs a leak.

Well, so much for tarping the pool to minimize the mess, but all defective coping has been removed (along with some of the waterline tiles :cry:) and the new SEALED coping is scheduled for install tomorrow.

Does the old rubberized mastic between deck and coping need to be completely removed before new coping is installed? Then mastic is replaced last? correct?

waterline tile.jpgold mastic.jpg

We are almost done, waiting on punch list items, swimming and having a ball! But not 100% satisfied with the coping job (see pics).
Just seems like shoddy work: rough edges on mitered corners; awkward angle cuts and asymmetrical layout at corners (not planned or well-thought-out at all...triangles?); plaster stains; cracking grout lines (looks like standard sanded tile grout was used...); splotchy uneven color; pencil marks (that won't come off!), etc.

We love the overall look (from afar), but don't know if we can live with what we consider subpar quality. We are satisfied with every other aspect of the project, but the up-close details leave much to be desired.

Are we being unreasonable?

View attachment 163880View attachment 163881View attachment 163882

How We are almost done, waiting on punch list items, swimming and having a ball! But not 100% satisfied with the coping job (see pics).
Just seems like shoddy work: rough edges on mitered corners; awkward angle cuts and asymmetrical layout at corners (not planned or well-thought-out at all...triangles?); plaster stains; cracking grout lines (looks like standard sanded tile grout was used...); splotchy uneven color; pencil marks (that won't come off!), etc.

We love the overall look (from afar), but don't know if we can live with what we consider subpar quality. We are satisfied with every other aspect of the project, but the up-close details leave much to be desired.

Are we being unreasonable?

View attachment 163880View attachment 163881View attachment 163882

Your not being too picky! Was the builder being picky when he took your money. Make him make it right and if he doesn’t make it a hobby of yours to go online and answer people’s question in your area “Any Pool Company Recommandations? Cost him a couple of pools a year when the crazy demand settles down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.