Ltaylor3

Jul 6, 2019
Goose Creek, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. I just received the recommended test kit in the mail and have been working to get my 13K gallon, above ground pool balanced. According to the initial test results, everything was in the normal range except my pH was slightly low (7.2) and the app told me to add borax and I did.

The test kit instructions say to test everything once per week and chlorine and pH daily, but we are forecast to have nonstop rain for the next 5 days, so I was wondering if I should test anything else more often.

Thanks!

I would make it a point to check the FC each day unless you know for sure it's holding well. Are you adding chlorine manually or do you have a SWG? Don't forget to update your signature. :) You can skip the pH to about every 2-3 days during the bad weather if you wish. But you always want to keep the FC balanced to your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae. Everything else can wait.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to figure out how to update my signature. I am adding chlorine manually, but up until last week, I was using pool shock and chlorine tabs. I have bleach on hand to use and can purchase liquid chlorine, but I figure that there isn't much I can do to transition, other than wait until chlorine is needed? Please let me know if that's incorrect.

You can stop using tabs at any point you wish. They key is to know what your CYA level so the tabs don't make it too high. At some point, feel free to post a full set of test results and we'll advise you. But once the tabs get used up or the FC starts to get low, then simply use the PoolMath APP to determine how much bleach is required to increase your FC by x-amount. The PoolMath APP is a great tool, you just have to practice a bit and get used to its menu options.

For your signature, look for SETTINGS on the menu and you should be able to find it. Hope that helps.

You can stop using tabs at any point you wish. They key is to know what your CYA level so the tabs don't make it too high. At some point, feel free to post a full set of test results and we'll advise you. But once the tabs get used up or the FC starts to get low, then simply use the PoolMath APP to determine how much bleach is required to increase your FC by x-amount. The PoolMath APP is a great tool, you just have to practice a bit and get used to its menu options.

For your signature, look for SETTINGS on the menu and you should be able to find it. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-212033.png
    Screenshot_20200707-212033.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 11
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
The rain may make your pH go up do to the additional aeration. Also. you may break out in wet spots for a few minutes, but other than that there is no real need for concern when it rains. Grab a cup and go out to your pool between the rain drops, grab a sample and bring the water inside. All your testing can be done indoors. Add the chlorine as needed and unless some parameter is way off, let it ride until you get a pause in the rain. Maybe keep an eye on the skimmer to be sure the wind isn't blowing in a ton of debris into the pool.

As a side note, don't chase pH. If you see pH is a little low, try aeration instead of using chemicals.

Looking good! :goodjob: Just keep an eye on the FC now. Since your CYA is 50, your ideal target ranges is 6-8 and never less than 4 according to the FC/CYA Levels. Everything else is looking very good.
Thank you. I was trying to understand that. Will the app automatically tell me that I need to adjust the chlorine levels based on the CYA levels?

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
The rain may make your pH go up do to the additional aeration. Also. you may break out in wet spots for a few minutes, but other than that there is no real need for concern when it rains. Grab a cup and go out to your pool between the rain drops, grab a sample and bring the water inside. All your testing can be done indoors. Add the chlorine as needed and unless some parameter is way off, let it ride until you get a pause in the rain. Maybe keep an eye on the skimmer to be sure the wind isn't blowing in a ton of debris into the pool.

As a side note, don't chase pH. If you see pH is a little low, try aeration instead of using chemicals.
Thanks for the advice!

You'll notice that the APP will give you recommendations once you enter all of your test results, but still want to refer back to the What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool to see if you are in an acceptable range overall. For example, your TA may be 60 and the APP recommends increasing to 80, but you are still in a minimum acceptable range and the lower TA helps keep the pH from rising too fast. Or your FC is 3 and the APP says to increase it to 6. You verify on the FC/CYA Levels that while you are still above the minimum number, you probably should be a bit higher. Those kinds of things. But if you ever have doubts, just ask us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.