How often to brush in winter months?

Feb 24, 2018
Richmond, TX
Water is now staying in the 60's so swimming is now done till the spring. I was running my robot every 2 weeks in the summer. Should I be doing the same during the cold months? I get very little debris so my concern isnt dirt in the pool, its algae build up.

I'd suggest at least monthly just to make sure you keep any schmutz off the walls and in circulation.

Remember that while algae is like molasses when it comes to reproducing in winter, it may still be there hiding under biofilm. That's what the brushing will help rid you of.

Maddie :flower:

The surface can make a difference. Plaster typically needs more brushing than vinyl or fiberglass, especially if the plaster is new.

It's not in the signature, but an earlier thread says gunite.

I would suggest maybe every week or every other week.

Plaster can sometimes get a runaway pH during the winter and scale can get started.

Brushing helps minimize scaling, dirt adhesion and algae buildup.

Black algae can get embedded in the plaster if it gets started.

Weekly brushing and chemical maintenance will help keep your plaster in good shape.

Use PoolMath to calculate the CSI and keep it between -0.3 and 0.0.

I would suggest maybe every week or every other week.

Plaster can sometimes get a runaway pH during the winter and scale can get started.

Brushing helps minimize scaling, dirt adhesion and algae buildup.

Black algae can get embedded in the plaster if it gets started.

Weekly brushing and chemical maintenance will help keep your plaster in good shape.

Use PoolMath to calculate the CSI and keep it between -0.3 and 0.0.

Would you say algae is less prone to develop in cooler water than in warmer water. This is of course with the assumption that chemical levels are always balanced. Since my pool was completed and filled with water in May, my water has been crystal clear since - no cloudiness, no algae, no nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algae is slower growing. Black algae is the main concern because it can become embedded in the plaster if it gets started.

It's actually a type of bacteria that grows roots into the plaster and is difficult to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.