Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hello. I finally got disgusted enough with my pool person to fire him and will be taking care of the pool myself. I started out using the Lamotte Color Q but I was getting really weird results (PH of 8, CH of 40) - taking my water to the pool store and they indicated that PH was 7.5 and CH was normal, etc. I then read some of the comments here regarding the Color Q - does not seem like a reliable test kit (boy I wish I had read that before spending the money). In any case - I just ordered the Taylor 2006c - my question is how often are you all testing the water. I am kind of a nut when it comes to this stuff, so I was considering testing daily, but then again, the pool guy would only come in and test once a week. Should I test chlorine and PH daily but perhaps CH, Alk and CYA weekly? Test everything daily or weekly? Just curious what the best testing schedule would be.

Thanks!

Bryan

This is a good starting point:

Once you get to understand the needs of your pool, your testing frequency can decrease. Most important is maintaining your FC and not allowing it to fall below the minimum for your CYA level (FC/CYA Levels).

FC and pH daily until you learn your pool. I have 7 years of test data in PoolMath. I now test those parameters twice a week, most of the time.

TA weekly. Again, until you learn your pool water.

CH and CYA monthly.

Reactions: ramblinwreck001
Bryan, you have the K-2006C. You have 2 oz reagents. That will last you all of this swim season, over the fall and winter season. Keep in mind to store your test kit in the house, not in a shed or garage. I, too, have the K-2006C. FC, pH and TA will definitely run out first. You can get reagent refills from tftestkits.net. Every March they have a sale on refills of Taylor reagents. That sale is a good bargain. Oh, get the magnetic stirrer for testing, it will make your life easier.

Testing? I am a little ocd. And because I have the stirrer I test FC and pH every other day. TA probably once a week, we have high TA water here in Las Vegas.

Enjoy your pool, testing is not a chore but the key is once you’ve fully adopted TFP practices, testing is just plain fun. Well, at least for me. My grandkids when they come over always ask for me to wait for them before I test for the day. :cool:

Use the money you have freed up by firing your pool service and get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG). Makes pool maintenance a breeze and will save you lots of money in the long run .

Reactions: setsailsoon
Hmm...SWG...might be the way to go...so if I converted - no more buying chlorine and shock? Is that something that you would recommend a pool person install or is it easy to do myself? Also - what systems do you all recommend?

Hmm...SWG...might be the way to go...so if I converted - no more buying chlorine and shock? Is that something that you would recommend a pool person install or is it easy to do myself? Also - what systems do you all recommend?
Correct. I buy a bit in the spring and fall, when water temps are low enough (below 55) that the SWCG stops making chlorine.

If you are reasonably handy, you can do it yourself. Lots of thread on here with people's installs.

You have a smaller pool, you can get by with a 30K system (should be twice the size of your pool, particularly in TX). I wouldn't hesitate to get a 45K in TX.

I have a circupool RJ60+ I love it.

You might want to find something that works with your EasyTouch. You may also find a direct replacement chlorinator with your Nature2. @ajw22 probably knows which cells work with the EasyTouch.

With Easytouch get a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 with power supply.
You will connect it to the Easytouch via a 4 wire line for RS485 communication.

To get a full warranty on the Pentair equipment, you will need to have it installed by a 'professional'. This essentially is anyone that will invoice you for the installation.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thanks! I will look into it. I am not all that handy so would feel better in having someone install it for me. So would this also be connected to the Pentair Screenlogic app?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. The app just mimics the Easytouch data and menu selection. So you would see the SWCG on the app, be able to change its % chlorine generation, etc.

In general, I check chlorine and pH every 2 to 3 days during the season. Mostly to make sure the salt system is working and algae isn't sneaking up. Once the salt, alkalinity, calcium, and CYA are checked once a month.

At the beginning of the season I test more frequently as I add chemicals to the pool. During a slam I may test chlorine 3 or more times in a day.

Hi! So I received a quote for the installation of the Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator 40k gal. Hoping to run it by you to make sure it is a good deal - I think it is but always better to be safe!
Intellichlor IC 40 - $1455.96
Labor - 1 hour - $150
Salt - 12 bags 15.92 / bag = 191.04 (Pool company saying I need that much salt to raise salt level to 3200 ppm)
Tax - 148.25
Total Price = $1945.25

Does that sound about right to you all?

Not bad, the IC 40 is a bit high vs. retail, maybe 2-300 high, but you get the warranty, and they will hook it up and make sure it works.

Labor is cheap for the work is reasonable.

You can get the salt yourself for about $8 a bag at homedepot, which will save you about $100. Always test the salt level with the Taylor K-1766 test kit BEFORE adding salt...you will be surprised how much salt is already in the pool.

Reactions: proavia
Good point about buying the salt at HD! I just ordered the Taylor k-2600c - is the test kit you mentioned just to check the salt?

so do I test the chlorine using the 2600c and then the tf salt bundle to check salt. Do I need to check salt levels on a regular basis like I would chlorine levels?

so do I test the chlorine using the 2600c and then the tf salt bundle to check salt.
Yes.
Do I need to check salt levels on a regular basis like I would chlorine levels?
I check about every 3 weeks or so. I usually only have to add salt in the spring and once in the late summer. Remember, unless you get lots of rain and have to drain (or have an overflow), salt doesn't go away.

Just make sure you test before adding any salt. You will be surprised at your existing salt level. Chlorine and acid add salt.

Or return the K-2006C and order a TF-Pro Salt test kit. It includes the salt testing reagents, the stirring device and has more of the reagents we use for residential testing than the K-2006C does.

I looked into returning the K-2006c (scheduled to be delivered to me on Friday). Unfortunatley - they don't accept returns. The reason given is "according to hazmat regulations..." Oh well - I'll go with the Taylor and then purchase the separate salt test kit. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support