How often do you test your pool water? (poll)

How often do you test your pool water?

• Sometimes more than once a day

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Once a day on average

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Every two days on average

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • Every three days on average

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Twice a week on average

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • Once a week on average

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Less often than that

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

azpooldude

May 14, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Since I replaced my pool water a few weeks ago and finally bought a Taylor K2006A test kit, I've been testing every day. I don't always to CH or CYA, but I always do FC, CC, PH, TA. Is that excessive or normal? Wondering what others do....

When you're new to it you need to do it more often as you're learning your pool's "personality".

As a long time TFP'er I can look at the sparkle of my pool and if its a tad dull I know the pH is off. Because I have an autocover my FC is stable as a rock. I always test more when I've made adjustments (added chemicals) and I want to know I got the results I aimed for.

Maddie :flower:

How often you should be testing depends on type of pool, equipment, and environment.

I look at the lights on my SWG a few times a week when passing it. If I see the usual green lights I can count on my CL bring good. I test once a week knowing my pH will need attention.

Thanks to TFP I just test once a week. I do a full battery of tests about every 2 months and after heavy rains and the pool is overflowing. When I was new to pools I tested daily till I got to know about chemicals and how my pool responded. Every pool is different as to bather load, weather and region. Hope this helps :cheers:

I have had my pool for a year and a half. Ran into an algae outbreak last year due to high CYA caused by pool store advice. Since I found this site I have not been back to the pool store and following their advice my water is Chrystal clear. But that algae outbreak still has me a bit nervous.

So I test my FC, CC, and PH daily. The other tests about once every two weeks.

My TA is a bit high so my PH rises. But I keep it in check with muriatic acid small doses maybe 3 times a week. I figure my TA will eventually come down with the acid additions.

I have had my pool for a year and a half. Ran into an algae outbreak last year due to high CYA caused by pool store advice. Since I found this site I have not been back to the pool store and following their advice my water is Chrystal clear. But that algae outbreak still has me a bit nervous.

Perfectly understandable.... Once bitten, Twice shy!

Maddie :flower:

Last year at this time I was blindly going to the pool store for my weekly tests and just buying and dumping in everything they sold me. It is amazing how much this site has taught me. Thanks for all of your help!

My 7 year old granddaughter lives next door to me (the reason the pool went in ?) and she loves to test with me. She asks me every day about my levels and can actually do the FC, CC, and PH tests by herself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I open my pool for the summer once a day until it's perfect. Then weekly to bi weekly.

More in the spring to build back up the CYA and monitor pH also watch FC as demand rises. Peak summer I test FC and pH once every 10 days on average. I also anticipate high swimer load and bump FC before and after.

There are a lot of replies that users are testing less than daily. Don't let that lead to a nonchalant attitude toward testing. Testing is an important part of pool care. pH and FC should be done daily. TA, CH can be less often, every 14 days. CYA monthly or if large water replacements are made.
Any less often should only be done once you get very comfortable with the pool and it's care.

I have a confession - I don't test often... Probably once a week. In the winter, maybe once ever two weeks. My pool is pretty stable and predictable right now. I should test more often, but since the levels are predictable, I don't often test. I think that's what so great about the methods taught here though. Everything is stable.

I answered twice a week “on average.” In the off season, I can go once a week because the pool is always covered and FC holds due to lack of UV and cold water inhibiting algae. In swim season, I can test every other day and be fine. I can feed my pool 1/2 gallon of 10% LC every day or 1 gallon every other day. The latter is half the work.

Reactions: JF July
I test FC, CC, and pH about every other day. I simply can't accurately get a reading by comparing colors, either, so I much prefer the titration technique for FC. I wish there was one for pH!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.