How often do you service?

Not sure what can be serviced. New heaters have electronic ignitors. It is best to winterize it (removing all water) and clearing out any spiders, etc. that may find a home. To start off again at beginning of swim season, again clean out any pests and put water through it and put it in service to see if it fires up.

Those in the southern states find it best to use the heater every month for a short time and then clean out any pests as well.

A service company could come out to do the process unless you are handy and can do it yourself.

You can just check the air flow for obstructions and clear as needed plus check for leaks and every 3-5 years clean the coils with AC coil cleaner. But I don't know anybody that does this. I run mine at least every month in normal use because we swim all year round so we run the hot tub a couple times per month. If I didn't do this I'd probably just click it on once per month for 30 min. I guess you could pay a service company to do this. Are you having an issue with the heater?

Hope this helps.

Chris

Pls complete your profile which provides the type of equipment and pool you have.

What type of heater is it and how old? How often do you run your heater?

No water should be in any pipe, coil or similar in areas that freeze.

During the swim season, you should run your heater at least every 3-4 weeks. Do not run your heater when the temp is below 60 degrees bc you will get a lot of sweating/condensation that if done a lot, can prematurely wear out your heating elements, that is, for NG and similar type heating systems...

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate all of your advice. We have a Hayward heat pump. It is four years old. I have my pool builder close my pool every year. The heat pump has never been cleaned. There is debris (leaves, junk) if you look down inside the machine. I did not know what to do. We cover it with tarp in the wintertime, so that is not the problem, just the pine tree "junk" that comes down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.