How often do people clean out their skimmers?

Well I went home last night and cleaned out my skimmers after feeling ashamed that I only do it once a week. I found a few beetles and a few leaves. I also cleaned out the pump basket which remains very clean since I started using the skimmer socks.

My PB recommended using skimmer socks saying that anything that you use that would prolong your cart. filter life and pump is worthwhile.

I clean out the skimmers daily and that's with skimmer sox that also get switched out daily. If there's more than the usual boatload of debris blowing in (tree pollen, tree blossoms, mowed grass, fallen leaves, etc.) then sometimes the sox need to be switched out more than once per day. Luckily, that's seasonal...

My case is somewhat unusual since I have an indoor pool. I check the skimmer at least a couple of times a week, but sometimes I go a couple of weeks without cleaning the skimmer basket and sock. To me, CLEANING the basket means removing the sock and hosing down the basket and sock. That's not counting the occasional pulling out the basket to dump out the bugs floating in the water on top, or the occasional frog rescue. A couple of times I've found a live frog in the skimmer basket, sitting on the scumbug! Cute little fellas, but stupid. I have to carry them OUT of the pool house, or they'll jump right back in the pool!!

I almost never have anything in the pump strainer basket. The skimmer sock really gets about everything. . .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.