How much water should I be losing overnight?

joem2020

May 14, 2020
Utah
46x18 in ground pool with 8x8 attaches spa. Automatic pool cover. In SLC Utah area and it was about 94 degrees yesterday, in the 60s 60s overnight. Put a mark at the water line at 8:45 or so last night. No one got in or out since. Covered the pool overnight. This morning it has dropped a little over half an inch.
With the pool and spa surface area, that is about 300 gallons in 12 hours or so.
Is that normal for a covered pool, especially overnight???

Take a look at your equipment pad to see if anything is wet..... like a slow drip. Any damp spots in the yard? Take a look at your discharge hose or pipe- make sure its dry. Spider gasket damage can show up there sometimes.

If the pool had been uncovered I'd not think a thing...hot dry Utah would have evaporation. But that it was covered makes me wonder.

That's all I got.

Maddie

Here's an easy test for water loss. Put a bucket on a step where you can fill it with pool water up the the same level as the pool water on that step. In the morning, if the pool water is lower than the water in the bucket, you are leaking somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.