How much water lost in a closed pool with auto cover

Re: How much water lost in a closed pool with water cover

I have a fiber glass pool with auto over. It is closed for winter and I noticed that the water level drops about 1/4 inch (maybe less ) in one or two weeks. Is this a normal rate of evaporation or somewhere is leaking water?

I think 1/4 inch in 1-2 weeks would be about right in our area of S.E. Pennsylvania, maybe more. Is the auto cover airtight/plastic or mesh and loosely sealing the pool?

I live in south east Washington state. The cover is not air tight. I think there is some water loss but I am not sure how fast is normal. I have a aquamatic EZ cover. It is loosely floating on top of the water with tracks on both side. One end is touching the pool wall and the other end is the cover box where the cover can be retracted back.

You will have evaporation during the winter. Keep an eye on things. More than 1/4" weekly could be excessive. Evaporation, however will stop when the water freezes on the surface.

You can also perform a bucket test, just do not add water and cover if rain occurs, and you will see that there will be some evaporation. No where near the summer months, but some. Thanks!

It depends on climate. I gain water from rain all winter and usually have to drain once or twice.

Southeast Washington is desert. That amount of evaporation is fully expected.

I live in south east Washington state. The cover is not air tight. I think there is some water loss but I am not sure how fast is normal. I have a aquamatic EZ cover. It is loosely floating on top of the water with tracks on both side. One end is touching the pool wall and the other end is the cover box where the cover can be retracted back.
Hi, I see you have an Aquamatic EZ Cover. How do you like it? How is it holding up? We are considering vs an automatic cover to save money. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.