How much start up chemicals will be needed?

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone,
This is my first time opening up our new pool installed last year. With all the drama around getting materials, etc. last year, I would like to get a jump start on getting chemicals needed for opening the pool. We have a roughly 25k. SWC pool and I am curious is anyone can give me a ballpark idea on how much I would need to open it up. I am thinking things like bags of sale, acid, etc. If anyone has some basic ideas (I know each pool will be different) on how much I might be looking to add, please let me know. I just dont want to get stuck not being able to open it up or paying an arm and a leg for chemicals if I can help it. Thanks!

Do you have PoolMath app? You can test your water to determine the salt level, FC and pH as a minimum. You can input that into the App and then determine what you need.
Did you do a partial drain of your pool for closing. You will be adding Tap Water to fill so you can test that as well. It will dilute whatever you have in the pool now.
The good thing is that acid and salt does not degrade over time so having a little too much will not hurt as long as you store it properly.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey Yarz !!! Your solid cover likely kept your CH and Salt about the same. The CYA degrades about 5 ppm monthly so that will be down 30 or so. A 10 lb bag of puritech is $35 on Amazon and you can get it now or get similar when the time comes from HD / lowes / Walmart

PH and TA are super cheap to add (10 mule borax $4 for 4 lbs in the laundry aisle, and 13 lbs of baking soda at Bjs / Costco for $6.99) No rush here for price or availability

Once we are past the last extended freeze, open up (April-y) and fire up the pump. If we do get one last cold snap it won't be long enough or cold enough to cause damage. **Mix well** as many of us see big differences upon opening from cold water stratification and run some tests to see where you are at.

You'll only need some little tweaks and you'll be long ahead of the Memorial Day rush on supplies once everyone else opens up. Grab a few gallons of Chlorine too for the times you need an instant boost while dialing in the SWG this year. Make sure to check the date codes many early season jugs are from last year. You may need to find a fresh pallet up high somewhere else.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I use the PoolMath constantly...and I plan to use it again daily. I will be getting my testing kit refills soon from TFTKits for the TF-Pro and will make sure to check it. When my pool builder closed the pool, they did drain it down so I will be adding water back in...I think I might just use the hose, but it from our well. When I add water, I always put an RV water filter on the end to remove anything from the well. I am guessing that I will need some salt since they removed water in closing, right? Also, before they switched it over to the SWG, I have a bunch of bags of shock from last year. Do you think they are still good enough to use this year for startup? They were stored outside in a barn without directly sunlight on the bags. They are the little bags, about the size of frozen vegetables. I guess I will grab a case of acid soon as well, just to have it.

Anything else I am forgetting? Thanks!

Also, before they switched it over to the SWG, I have a bunch of bags of shock from last year. Do you think they are still good enough to use this year for startup?
If you need the CYA/CH that the shock will along with the FC, then by all means use your stash. If stored dry and cool it darn near lasts forever.

Your salt and CH will be down similar to the % of fill water needed as your PA calcium is probably low in the fill water.

There is no CYA in the fill water so you'll be adding the % filled plus however much it degraded in the off season.
Anything else I am forgetting? Thanks!
Bleach is good if the production date is fresh. 3 or 4 gallons should be plenty to start when the time comes and for $4 you can't go wrong with a 4 lb box of borax. The $7 bag of Arm and Hammer baking soda will probably last 2-3 seasons but you can't go wrong there either if you want to get it now.

I'm just starting to open up my SWG (IC40) pool. I have an electric retractable cover which keeps the chlorine from being burned off during the day when not in use and also helps retain heat.
My pool temps were low 50s and FC around zero a couple of days ago. The low temps made it difficult to get the IC40 working so I heated up my spa (which shares water with the pool) and ran the IC40 at 100%. I've left the cover off the pool during the day, as it's been sunny and the temp has been in the 70s (to help warm the water). As the pool temp rose slowly the last couple of days, I had the IC40 running all day long at 100%.
This morning, my pool temp is 56 degrees and I've been able to get the FC level up to 4 by just running the IC40. I'm guessing that I ran the IC40 for about 12 hrs/day at 100% for a couple of days.

I know that one should use liquid or solid chlorine to raise the FC levels of a SWG pool at opening, but I opted to give this a try since there was a chlorine shortage this last year and I didn't want to use liquid chlorine if I didn't need to. Those of you with SWG pools may want to try the same (running your SWG at 100% for ~24hrs nonstop) to see if you can avoid buying chlorine to help ease any chlorine shortages.

Reactions: HermanTX
I'm just starting to open up my SWG (IC40) pool. I have an electric retractable cover which keeps the chlorine from being burned off during the day when not in use and also helps retain heat.
My pool temps were low 50s and FC around zero a couple of days ago. The low temps made it difficult to get the IC40 working so I heated up my spa (which shares water with the pool) and ran the IC40 at 100%. I've left the cover off the pool during the day, as it's been sunny and the temp has been in the 70s (to help warm the water). As the pool temp rose slowly the last couple of days, I had the IC40 running all day long at 100%.
This morning, my pool temp is 56 degrees and I've been able to get the FC level up to 4 by just running the IC40. I'm guessing that I ran the IC40 for about 12 hrs/day at 100% for a couple of days.

I know that one should use liquid or solid chlorine to raise the FC levels of a SWG pool at opening, but I opted to give this a try since there was a chlorine shortage this last year and I didn't want to use liquid chlorine if I didn't need to. Those of you with SWG pools may want to try the same (running your SWG at 100% for ~24hrs nonstop) to see if you can avoid buying chlorine to help ease any chlorine shortages.
Since u were at 0 fc - you may want to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out any organic growth.
Many - myself included, go to Slam level at opening & do an oclt just to be on the safe side & ensure starting out on the right foot. I do this even if i have fc present upon opening simply because we have wild temperature swings here when the pool is closed. One day it will be 20degrees & then it will be 70 for a week!

Reactions: Saturn94
The overnight test is a great idea, but, unfortunately, I will be out of town for four days starting today (the FC reading this AM was 4; I didn't check it last night but when I checked it yesterday it was less than 2). I plan on checking it closely when I get home. I should have checked the FC level last night but did not.

I have a problem in that we will have visitors that arrive while I'm gone including a niece who wants to swim. She's sensitive to high chlorine levels so I can't SLAM the pool (as much as I'd like to) while I'm gone.
We've got both test strips and a test kit so I'll have my wife test the water in the mornings with test strips - she is NOT going to want to use the test kit so I won't reengage her on that subject. I'll adjust SWG times as necessary.
They arrive late tonight so I'll heat the pool water overnight.

I'll SLAM the pool after our guests go home after visiting for a week.

The overnight test is a great idea, but, unfortunately, I will be out of town for four days starting today (the FC reading this AM was 4; I didn't check it last night but when I checked it yesterday it was less than 2). I plan on checking it closely when I get home. I should have checked the FC level last night but did not.

I have a problem in that we will have visitors that arrive while I'm gone including a niece who wants to swim. She's sensitive to high chlorine levels so I can't SLAM the pool (as much as I'd like to) while I'm gone.
We've got both test strips and a test kit so I'll have my wife test the water in the mornings with test strips - she is NOT going to want to use the test kit so I won't reengage her on that subject. I'll adjust SWG times as necessary.
They arrive late tonight so I'll heat the pool water overnight.

I'll SLAM the pool after our guests go home after visiting for a week.
With the temps being low it’s not quite as crucial but it’s definitely something to put on the list. So if there is an issue u catch it & deal with it early & quite easily.

Reactions: Newdude
I know that one should use liquid or solid chlorine to raise the FC levels of a SWG pool at opening, but I opted to give this a try since there was a chlorine shortage this last year and I didn't want to use liquid chlorine if I didn't need to.
I get the sentiment Jetzzzz. I do. :)

But one gallon of 10% gets you 5.25 FC, so you didn't exactly save much for everybody else.

With 74 degree daytime highs the next 3 days, get on that OCLT at your earliest convenience. SWGs can keep a minor algae bloom at bay and in hiding. It will surface eventually if it's growing, and a early season SLAM is far easier than once the algae fully wakes up (goes un-dormant ? Don't even know that to call it. Lol)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get the sentiment Jetzzzz. I do. :)

But one gallon of 10% gets you 5.25 FC, so you didn't exactly save much for everybody else.

With 74 degree daytime highs the next 3 days, get on that OCLT at your earliest convenience. SWGs can keep a minor algae bloom at bay and in hiding. It will surface eventually if it's growing, and a early season SLAM is far easier than once the algae fully wakes up (goes un-dormant ? Don't even know that to call it. Lol)

Every little bit helps. (y)

I haven't had any algae problems with this pool yet (fingers crossed), and my wife will give me FC readings every morning while I'm gone; it's only 3 days. This pool and IC40 have worked well together and I haven't had to use up much cell life - I finally hit the 20% light in its third year of use.
I'll have a chance to monitor closely when I get home, as I have a few days off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.