How much stabilizer should I buy in this economy?

DeptOfMeteors

Jul 8, 2020
Ottawa
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
According to PoolMath if I buy BioGuard Stabilizer 100 (2.5kg) Chlorine Stabilizer (SKU 1303) : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden (that's right, I'm in Canada) and I add all of it to my pool, the CYA will rise to just short of half of what I need it to be (60ppm). So I just wanted to make sure before I buy 2 or 3 of them, that I'm getting the right thing in the right quantity.

Keep in mind, when I bring "economy" into this that it isn't just about pool chemistry, but also how much I need to ride inflation. So I don't want to buy more than I will need when prices go down, but I also don't want to find I need more and the price has doubled! (Which it might well!)

I guess folk are going to put more effort into timing their backwashes so that the least valuable chems are lost.

I hate going to Canadian Tire! But I'd make a deal w/the devil to save a buck. I take it you mean General PDP Template. You certainly get a lot more kgs for your buck, but it's a different manufacturer. Are Aquarius products every bit as good as BioGuard? I tried Googling "Aquarius BioGuard reviews" but it looks like not that many people are asking that question.

I'm familiar with Bioguard brand as well as I used to buy that from St. Lawrence Pools. I haven't personally used the Aquarius branded product but I believe it would work fine and I wouldn't be afraid to try it. I think Bioguard just charges more for the same material. You'll want to add this to your pool in such a way that it doesn't directly touch your pool's liner. You'll see the sock method referenced here a lot - put the concentrated CYA into a sock and have to tied off in front of a return. Let the material slowly dilute into the pool water. I wish I'd known this before... Having the stabilizer dumped directly into the pool isn't idea as it's a type of acid and can have negative impact on liners.

I had the idea that TFP only changed the sigs in future posts and left the old ones as is. Well, if it did, you'd see that I thought my pool had much more capacity
:p That explains the difference. I ordered cyanuric acid yesterday and calculated I needed 3 kg for a pool of 44m3 to raised CYA from zero to 70ppm, so I was surprised that you would need more.
In Spain, cyanuric acid is much cheaper:
Maybe they ship to Canada.

Unfortunately I cannot buy any decent test kit here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.