How much Seaklear should it take before a reduction in phosphates is seen

Mar 3, 2016
Gold Canyon, AZ
This product did not seem to change Phosphate level much. Level was at 500ppb initially before adding 2oz SeaKlear. 3 days later it was about the same. I then added a further 8 oz and a week later phosphate level went to between 300-500., which level was tested by myself using the phosphate test strips. (previous results had been from pool store). At the time of adding the 8oz, water was initially very milky but cleared up by the following day. Before adding any of this I had backwashed my sand filter which then read 15# Now about 10 days later it has only risen by 2# to 17#.
Could there be something else in the water causing a false high phosphate reading? Would appreciate your comments/advice

With test strips I wouldn't trust them to do well measuring the difference between 0, 500, and 1000 ppb, so it's hard to say with any certainty what happened. Really though even if you are going to worry about phosphates (why?) 300 ppb is not a big deal.

pf,

It appears that you have been a member here for the past two years... In all that time, I doubt you have ever seen a positive review of any phosphate remover, no matter the brand. If you follow the TFP pool care principles, it just does not matter what your phosphate level is... it will have no effect on anything.

Tell us why you want to remove them? What problem are you having that makes you think that phosphates are the cause??

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

pflood, as mentioned upthread, you are very low-range on your po4 readings and strips aren’t very sensitive.
There’s not really much benefit in chasing po4 at this level.

But also just so you know, there are two things that affect the appearance or rather lack of reduction. The first is that if the source of po4 is from slowly-breaking-down HEDP-based sequestrants, that breakdown will continue to read until it’s all been removed. The second is that even when you’re not using sequestrant, many municipalities today DOuse low levels of sequestrant to protect pipe corrosion. So water source itself can lead to small accumulations of spent sequestrant that has devolved into po4.

In either case, nothing to worry about at your levels ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.