how much salt, black algae, upping stabilizer, high calcium

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Happy fathers day to any dads out there!
#s yesterday at 3:30pm in Phoenix:
FC=1.5
CC=0
pH=7.5
CH=650
TA=100
CYA=40
CSI=.37
salt=3800 (but automatic panel says 2700)-I used the test kit that is recommended here

First, I realize the FC is too low, which I was surprised cuz cell was at 30% and we just cleaned it. BUT we cleaned it too late as I had been noticing it wasn't making enough chlorine but couldn't get hubbie to help me take it off to clean it. In hindsite I should've added chlorine while waiting for him to help. So, we have about 10 spots which appear to be black algae/some of them the start of black algae. In reading about it on here I ordered a steel brush that should be arriving today and I dumped in more chlorine than needed as I know I have to use the steel brush for it to really work but I thought it couldn't hurt for now.

I also turned up salt cell to 100% and let it run.

I also added stabilizer trying to get it up to 60. I'll recheck in a bit.

Today:
FC=10.

I wanted to know if I'm on the right track with everything else. Is it only safe to swim when FC gets down to what is stated on the chart? Thank you!

With your high CH you will need to manage TA and pH very closely. Your cell is needing cleaning because your CSI is too high. I keep my CSI at zero or just below, even with CH of 850. You will need to drive down your TA and manage your pH nearly daily. Othewise your SWCG will scale up again, fast.
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

As far as the algae - follow the information in Pool school. You will have to SLAM I believe.

Your salt is OK if the SWCG is happy and generating chlorine.

You can swim if your FC is less than shock - which would be 24 at CYA of 60.

Take care.

mknauss, I'll work on my pH/TA. I think I'll empty at least 1/2 the pool for sure before next swim season. This is our 2d year with the pool so that is disheartening but we'll see... I won't be able to manage it daily always, obviously when out of town...

I thought SLAM wasn't for black algae, but I'll check.

We just cleaned the salt cell 1-2 weeks ago so there's no getting my husband to help with that! Maybe in a few weeks, but even with that, PB seemed to be right in that it'd typically be every 3 mths or so. I'll have to check, once I've gotten rid of the black algae, to see how the cell is producing. For now I have it on 100% and running all the time.

Thx for the reminder on what the safety level to swim is. I'll recheck the CYA and pH in a bit.

By managing my CSI between -0.3 and zero - I have never cleaned my SWCG in the two plus years it has been running.

Every time you clean it, you reduce its life substantially. So it is cheaper to maintain your water instead of replacing SWCG cells.

Take care

I have been playing with poolmath and thought I remembered manipulating the CSI number to be easier. I'm a bit confused on lowering the CSI and I have always kept the target for TA at 100 but now I'm reading under water balance for SWGs that TA should be kept at 60-80 when I had been targeting 100. Do u check the temp, TA, pH daily to then see if u need to add more acid? thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.