How much longer until you open?

Being in TX it is odd to hear this topic. We never close and from what I know most don't in the DFW area, but I do understand it gets so much colder in a good majority part of the US you have no choice. Even in the winter - the pool is a focal point of the yard and the hot tub is integrated, so the tub gets some use every few weeks, plus it would be a very dull boring back yard with it covered and closed. I would be more depressed about winter than I already am if the pool was closed and covered. I will say though - a cover would sure help the acorns in the fall and the catkins and leaves in the spring from a Live Oak, but I'll deal with that for being able to keep the pool open. Best of luck to you all and hope they are open soon.

Be careful opening too early. I did the same thing when my pool was new and regretted it. I live in Souderton, PA. That is in southeastern PA. All of the spring blooming trees, oak, maple, cottonwood, etc. dumped unbelievable amounts of seeds, flower bits, pollen, etc. into our pool and out pool is not surrounded at all by trees. We were able to swim, with our solar heaters in mid May. But I am really not correct in saying "swimming". About 45 minutes to an hour was spent scooping all of the debris out of the pool. Everyday!!! I am holding off an extra month after those memories. All I remember was uttering copious amounts of four letter words under my breath as I spent all that time cleaning my nice, new pool! Good luck with your new pool. Sounds great from the description!!! Enjoy!

I opened mine last weekend just so I could clean it up. Took 3 days of pumping and vacuuming but it looks good now. Way to cold to swim (48-55) but if I can get a week of sun the solar will bring it up...

I'm on Vancouver Island...

Being in TX it is odd to hear this topic. We never close and from what I know most don't in the DFW area, but I do understand it gets so much colder in a good majority part of the US you have no choice. Even in the winter - the pool is a focal point of the yard and the hot tub is integrated, so the tub gets some use every few weeks, plus it would be a very dull boring back yard with it covered and closed. I would be more depressed about winter than I already am if the pool was closed and covered. I will say though - a cover would sure help the acorns in the fall and the catkins and leaves in the spring from a Live Oak, but I'll deal with that for being able to keep the pool open. Best of luck to you all and hope they are open soon.

What's your best strategy for dealing with the catkins??

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful opening too early. I did the same thing when my pool was new and regretted it. I live in Souderton, PA. That is in southeastern PA. All of the spring blooming trees, oak, maple, cottonwood, etc. dumped unbelievable amounts of seeds, flower bits, pollen, etc. into our pool and out pool is not surrounded at all by trees. We were able to swim, with our solar heaters in mid May. But I am really not correct in saying "swimming". About 45 minutes to an hour was spent scooping all of the debris out of the pool. Everyday!!! I am holding off an extra month after those memories. All I remember was uttering copious amounts of four letter words under my breath as I spent all that time cleaning my nice, new pool! Good luck with your new pool. Sounds great from the description!!! Enjoy!

I'm in your area too. So what date are you shooting for ? When does all that **** stop falling?

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

It changes every year but I would give it several weeks. The oaks are just about ready to start dropping their catkins and they are a mess in the pool. We may start the filter in the next couple of days so we can pour in bleach to keep the algae at bay but if your pool is near any trees that drop seeds or flowers , while I know it is hard, waiting a few more weeks helps. Leaf covers don't catch all the debris. Each year my hubby has to remind me of the year I opened too early!!!

i guess you can say i officially opened this weekend. i have actually had pool going for 3 weeks now. but this was the first weekend i was able to get in the pool. i have gotten the water temp to 76 today. solar heater has been working great so far. i actually had water coming out of it at 155 degrees today for over 2 hours.

Opened last weekend, 4/2. First time opening. I posted a thread about it last week https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/134862-First-Startup- pool was still frozen over beneath the cover about a month ago. We had a couple of overnight frosts - nothing too bad - upper 20s last night. Just kept the pump running, and no problems.

Kids went in today with 75 degree water. A little cold for me, but they're young and tough.

I watch and wait.

I always wait until after things start blooming - keeps the vegetation out of the pool.

I like to let the pool warm up a bit with the cover on (so it gets warmer) but not too warm so that I don't open to a clear pool.

Most of the time I open late May. but I have to go out of town for 4 days at end of May, so if the weather stays cooler, I May open the first week of June. We have had some creazy weather these last few weeks. High of 80 yesterday, and a perdiceted high of 56 on Sunday.

-dave

Had mine up and running for a couple weeks now. Just had to try it out after changing from the intex hoses to PVC. Plus the tree next to the pool dropped every leaf and then some in the pool late last fall. The water was so black once it thawed there was maybe an inch or two visibility. So been spending the last few weeks off and on scooping leaves and running the pump.

Swam for almost a week during a warm spell in the first half of March. (water mid to low 70s) Then it got cold again until the first week of this month, normal "opening" time. I never put my winter cover on this year and I always leave the pump running on freeze nights anyway so there isn't much difference between open and closed for me. I will be starting a thread on my stair/algae problem in a bit. sigh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.