How much Fc, CYA in 1 lb. Bioguard Smart Shock ?

Poolweekender

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2017
Hudson Valley, New York
Hi,
I use 12.5% liquid chlorine almost exclusively, however when I am away and have someone else take care of the pool, or sometimes when I want to increase stabilizer, I use a 1 lb. package of Bioguard Smart Shock, which contains:
-dichloro 63% (available chlorine is 39%)
-copper nitrate 0.7% (copper is bad, I know...but the smart shock dissolves really easily so no brushing is necessary)
-other 36%

So when PoolMath states that 1 lb of dichlor contains FC 4.4 and CYA 4, does the 1 lb. of Smart Shock contain that amount?
Or do I do some math, eg. for FC, 63% dichloro x 1 lb = .63 lb; .63 lb x 39% available chlorine = .25 lb = 1.1 Fc? and 1 CYA? (this seems to low).

Many thanks for the help.

Jason

Yes sorry, I didn't explain that completely...I wasn't implying a link between copper and the solubility of the product.

The reason I use the Smart Shock when I'm away is only because it dissolves essentially immediately, and I don't have to worry that whoever takes care of the pool while I'm away for a week or two will have to brush the pool floor, which is necessary when adding the other solid products I have tried. Also I'd rather someone not have to deal with adding chlorine, both for their safety and to keep my ipe deck looking fine :cool:

I don't use much of the Smart Shock...I have my water tested for copper once a year and the level is always <0.1 ppm.

Anyway, please can anyone help with my original question, how much FC and CYA is contained in 1 lb of Smart Shock?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Donldson -- do you know someone you can pass my question to who can help?
If not, I'll make a new post.
Here was the question:
A 1 lb. package of Bioguard Smart Shock contains:
-Dichloro 63%, with available chlorine 39%

So when PoolMath states that 1 lb of dichlor contains FC 4.4 and CYA 4, does the 1 lb. of Smart Shock contain that amount?
Or do I do some math, eg. for FC, 63% dichloro x 1 lb = .63 lb; .63 lb x 39% available chlorine = .25 lb = 1.1 Fc? and similarly 1 CYA? However this seems too low.

Thanks,
Jason

Does it say what the other ingredients are? Does it imply it will control ph, TA, etc? Some of those pool store potions have baking soda in them to counteract the acidity of the product.

Mnkauss,
The ingredients were in my first email, but I've just found further details in the MSDS.
I know it contains a bit of copper, but I use this sparingly when I'm away for a week and someone takes care of my pool, or occasionally or to increase CYA, as I explained in my first email. Also in my first email I explained that I test copper every fall and it is always < 0.1 ppm
I know you very generous in your help...perhaps you can help where Donldson cannot.
Here are the ingredients:
-dichloro 63% (available chlorine is 39%)
-copper nitrate 0.7%
-other 36%
And from the MSDS I found more (bad) stuff: (it's an image below, if it cannot be read: Dichloro 63%, Sodium persulfate <25%, Aluminum sulfate <10%, Boron salt trade secret 7-13%, Zinc sulfate <5%,, Copper citrate <1%. Available chlorine 39%.
Thanks very much Mnkauss....Jason
1622500583724.png
Honestly, Donldson, you are seriously punishing me for using this?...you're upset that I don't follow TFP to the letter so my question is not valid?
I've been using TFP very successfully for 4 years as well as turning others onto this method. I still have some of this material available so I would appreciate some help. Please ignore/block me and don't respond any further to this string. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1622500242630.png
    1622500242630.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1622500306251.png
    1622500306251.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: Donldson
I would not use that either. It contains non-chlorine shock, which shows up as CC. The other stuff is just unnecessary to put in your pool. It is 63% dichlor. So one pound of it acts like 0.63lb of dichlor from a FC and CYA aspect.

You are welcome to use what you like. And copper never leaves the pool unless you drain the pool.

Good luck.

You aren’t being punished. Nobody should want that in their pool. Understand that you do - however this forum exists to teach the TFPC philosophy of pool care, and providing advice on how to use this product could be seen as an implicit endorsement of its use for your circumstance.

Using this product is not following TFPC. As a result, this forum cannot really advise you how to use it.

If you do want to use dichlor for your situation, I’d suggest buying some regular Dichlor powder - I think it’s like 99%+. That will add just FC and CYA and may be suitable for your very short term use.

Hi Magitek,
I know this material isn't part of the TFP method, as I stated in my OP...also stating that I use liquid chlorine almost exclusively. Please re-read my first post.
I just wanted to know how to calculate the Fc and CYA in the material I already have :) -- I wasn't asking for an endorsement. So yes Donldson was being unkind.
In all my reading of 1000s of posts, I've always found TFP to be accepting of all questions -- up until now. If I'm not mistaken, the TFP philosophy is to help, regardless of what the poster is doing wrong.
I do appreciate your suggestion about dichlor powder.
And thanks again mknauss for your help!
Enjoy the remainder of the holiday weekend to all,
Jason

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Donaldson is one of the most generous people on this site with his time and advice, i'm certain he was trying to be helpful to you, and to the many newbies who read posts like yours, who may not understand that copper in a pool is problematic.

Looks like mknauss answered to your satisfaction. Glad you got the help you needed!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.