How much evaporation is normal?

gbest

Apr 3, 2016
South of Boston MA
I'm hoping I don't have a leak, I'm noticing about 1/4"-1/2" of water loss a day, I don't remember having this much loss in years past, but then again, it's been pretty dry with little rain.
Located in the Boston area if that makes a difference.

gbest,

I completely agree with Marty. This is by far the simplest way to go. If you want the nerdy way go to this link on Engineer's Toolbox. I'm an engineer and even I will say the calculations are very difficult due to all the effects of wind, humidity and temperature that are very difficult to measure accurately. Marty's bucket test eliminates the need to measure anything except what you can do with a ruler. So it's a perfect solution to your problem. But some nerds like me just have the insatiable need to do the calculation.

I hope you find this entertaining... any maybe a little useful!

Chris

I've been worried about this evaporation / potential leak situation on and off over the years. I've done the bucket test several times and never once did it show that there was any leak. Hopefully you'll find the same to be true. I have noticed that with the cooler temps of the last several days, I've lost a good amount of water. We had alot of rain all summer, and so whatever level of evaporation was occurring really wasn't noticeable. I tapped off water alot more than having to add any.

I've been worried about this evaporation / potential leak situation on and off over the years. I've done the bucket test several times and never once did it show that there was any leak. Hopefully you'll find the same to be true. I have noticed that with the cooler temps of the last several days, I've lost a good amount of water. We had alot of rain all summer, and so whatever level of evaporation was occurring really wasn't noticeable. I tapped off water alot more than having to add any.

Although the calculations are almost impossible to do correctly they do give you some insight into what causes more evaporation. Notice the equation includes a factor of 19 times the wind velocity... it's a very important factor and why evaporation can change a huge amount day to day even when temperature is about constant.

Chris

I placed a bucket filled up to a marked line, the pool is dropping faster than the bucket, next I'll plug the returns and skimmers and see what happens.
I did find a slight drip from one of the pump drain plugs, but not enough to explain this loss rate.
I'll check the inside of the heater to see if it's wet there.

I dye tested all the returns and skimmers, the only place I saw it being drawn in, was one of the return nozzle openings, not around the fitting, but into the opening.
The pump had been off for about an hour.
I assume I'll have to seal off all the returns and pressure test that line?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.