how much decking needed around pool?

Nov 2, 2018
Franklin, MA
Still trying to work out the layout of our pool - its going to be 18x36 inground rectangle with a diving board on one end. We are hoping to have enough space on the shallow end for a small couch, maybe a small table and then some seating around one edge. We dont anticipate hosting much - and there are just 4 of us in our family so most of the time it will be the 4 of us plus 2 to 4 kids friends. We are fencing in our pool but willl have grass area on the outside of the fence on one side so if we do have friends over the guests and play in the grass area. And we are trying to keep the budget as small as possible.

Thanks!

I would recommend a minimum of 4' around the pool to allow for ease of walking without fear of falling in, and make maintenance easier. Helps keep grass clippings out of the pool too.

Then where you want seating (perhaps a table? chaise lounge? that sort of thing) go big! Like 12 to 15'.

So 3 sides a minimum of 4' and that long other side your lounging space.

Always get the most you can afford as no one has ever said they wished they'd gone smaller.

Maddie :flower:

If you're limited to hard surface coverage like me (township impervious coverage limits) you could consider going narrower on the areas you would access less frequently and cover/extend the rest with river rock, etc. That's what we had to do :) I also agree you wouldn't want grass closer than 3-4' from the edge of coping.

IMO, 4ft minimum all the way around, 8ft minimum where there are things like diving boards, ladders or stairs, and 12ft minimum where you plan to sit.

3ft is like walking a tightrope.

Consider some type of shade structure and a bath/changing room. Wet kids dripping water in and out of the house isn't a good thing. When the kids swim, someplace in the shade for adults to sit while watching them is a big deal.

My rule of thumb (and I wish I would have followed it) is: Figure out how much decking you think you need and then double it. :eek:). No one ever complains about their deck being too large and everything seems to take up more room than you think.

I realized that its cheaper to add concrete now vs regret it later. I have a weird freeform shape and widened at end of pool for diving to about 10ft, etc. One area I didn’t realize to widen until the forms were down was around the ladder. At 3 ft wide, the ladder covers at least a foot and it’s really narrow to get around the ladder. I think I brought it out to about 4.5ft from the coping. May 4ft even.
cce81c34028d8ecff1a4ff17dec9d435.jpg

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.