Nifty Noodle

Apr 25, 2022
Hingham, Mass.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I will need to backwash my pool soon. How much DE will I need to add? Got a 25,000gal pool, Nautilus filter 96 gal per hour. 48 sq ft. One direction I read was "3 scoops." How much is a "scoop?"

DE filters (I have a Pentair) require 1lb of DE per 10sq ft of filter. So a 48 sq ft filter would be 4.8lbs of DE.
I use a quart plastic contain (can purchase in Home Depot paint area) and measured weight of that with DE.
I have a 60 sq ft so 6 lbs is what I use.

I have a Hayward DE filter 48 sq' also, it calls 6 scoops/ lbs. WHEN THE FILTER IS Totally Broken down and cleaned.
After Backwashing it then needs to be RECHARGED with DE, I recharge with 3 one lbs scoops. You never want to over fill with de powder...Bad things can happen.

Attachments

• 20220624_113129.jpg
    20220624_113129.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Usually the amount of DE to use is listed in pounds and not scoops. Best to weigh how much a "scoop" weighs and add accordingly.

Sometimes two amounts are listed, one for a total breakdown/clean and one for a backwash. If this isn't the case with your filter, a good rule of thumb is to use only 80% of the breakdown/clean amount when only doing a backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.