How much D.E. to add at start up and at backwashing

lafonte98

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2016
Collinsville, IL
Greetings,

I hope everyone is surviving this crazy pandemic! At least we have pool season on the horizon. :cool:

So, I have had my pool for around 8 years now and have discovered that I might be adding the incorrect amount of D.E. after backwashing. Let me just note, that I have not had any issues up to this point but now would like a clear answer on what is the correct amount. I have a FNS Plus Pentair 48sqf filter. After backwashing I have been adding 10 full scoops from my Addladin 300 D.E. scoop. From what I have read I should be adding more like 8 scoops which is more around the recommended 80% that should be added after backwashing. 10 scoops should only be adding during the initial start up for the season or when you have cleaned the filter.

I do have another quick question. Do I really need to mix up the D.E. in a 5 gallon bucket before depositing it into the deep end skimmer? Can I just pour the scoops directly into the deep end skimmer?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

There should be a sticker on that filter telling you according to the model how much is need for a complete change. Not sure about scoops but they go by how many pounds it takes. I think your filter is somewhere about 4.5 lbs of DE.
Pre mixing it with water is less of a chance for a clog and pour it into the skimmer slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.