How much chlorine for SLAM?

Wilderpa95

Silver Supporter
Apr 15, 2020
Florida
Last year used Pool School advice and removed phosphates from pool and stopped using algaecides. Unfortunately in our area in Georgia the spring pollen load is huge, so in less than a week we went from clear water to bright neon green water. Surprisingly, phosphates still read as zero. We read about SLAMming and want to try it but are unclear regarding how much chlorine to add. Our Free and Total chlorine levels are basically zero. We are going to use a 10% liquid bleach product for the SLAM. Our CYA is currently 50. How do I figure out how much bleach to use?

Welcome to TFP, Wilder- Have you seen our PoolMath App or using the older classic web version? That helps you figure out based on your test results the chlorine needed to bring your water up to the SLAM value and each time you need to return it up there. The more often you test and dose the faster this SLAM process goes.

You do test your pool yourself with a reliable kit......right??

Welcome to TFP, Wilder- Have you seen our PoolMath App or using the older classic web version? That helps you figure out based on your test results the chlorine needed to bring your water up to the SLAM value and each time you need to return it up there. The more often you test and dose the faster this SLAM process goes.

You do test your pool yourself with a reliable kit......right??
Thank you for your quick response. Where do I find the Pool Math app? Is it an app I get in the apple app store? Regarding the water testing, I have a blue plastic box with lots of color coded bottles of chemical. I can test for free and total chlorine, alkalinity, ph, cya, calcium hardness. It is less than a year old. How do I know if it is a RELIABLE kit?

Thank you for your quick response. Where do I find the Pool Math app? Is it an app I get in the apple app store? Regarding the water testing, I have a blue plastic box with lots of color coded bottles of chemical. I can test for free and total chlorine, alkalinity, ph, cya, calcium hardness. It is less than a year old. How do I know if it is a RELIABLE kit?
The kits we trust are based on Taylor chemical reagents. What is the make/model kit you have? Or a picture, we can generally identify it.

Can yo also post a pictuer of the pool, looking straight down on the steps. You description of a neon green pool and your signature that says "currently disconnected from system due to copper staining problems " may lead to copper rather than algae.

That is a K2005. All you are missing is a FAS DPD test for FC above 10ppm. You will need that to do a SLAM. TFTESTKITS.net sells those kits.

Reactions: tim5055

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can experienced folks please clarify if FC shock level is a static target based on a one-time-only CYA test (before starting SLAM process) or a moving target determined each time you retest FC by also retesting CYA? There is nothing in the SLAM instructions explicitly stating CYA should be checked beyond the initial test, but for the sake of doing it right the first time I want to make sure I’m not overlooking something implied. I suppose it’s a moot point if shocking doesn’t increase CYA, but that’s also something this rookie is unsure of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.