How much chlorine do you put in daily?

usually in the 60oz (2.5-3ppm) range (8.25%). I'm going to bump my CYA up to 50 and see how that goes. (eventually)

I'm glad you asked because I was going to. I almost have this down to a science but I'm still new. My little 6,000 gallon pool gets plenty of sun and active bathers. My pool is a SWG pool and I seem to go through 12oz per day of the 8.25% bleach. I try to keep my FC at 6 and I lose 1.5 to 2.0ppm daily. I measure in the AM sometimes and add the difference that night plus the loss which by next morning should have me sitting at 7.5 FC and never lower than 6.0 FC. by the way, my CYA is 70.

I usually lose about 3FC a day. For me that's around 20oz depending on if I'm using the 10% or the 8.25%. I dose for 8 and it usually tests 5-5.5 the next day.

My CYA *was* between 30-35 but with a few backwashes and a top off I think I've dropped below 30. Thinking about bumping my CYA up to 40. I might actually use a couple of tabs I have left over from the old days... *gasp* Gonna check the ol pool math to see what it would take.

CYA 50
20K gallons
Add typically 2PPM a day

Most evenings the TC is 4.5 and I hit it with 60OZ to kick it up to 6.5 give or take
Been working well so far this summer w/ pretty high temps and lots of sun
South Carolina

my cya WAS around 40, and I am using 32 oz of 8.25 each sundown. But, my CYA seems to have dropped. So in addition to the 32 oz I have two tabs in the floater.
Just bough 10%, so I'll have to recalc.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel bad about all the wasted plastic. might look into the refill options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gee all this talk about CYA of 50 makes me want to jump in. I am currently at 30. And my pool consumes 1.5 ppm

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

if your only burning 1.5 ppm per day, id leave it alone. Its unlikely to get much better than that.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel bad about all the wasted plastic. might look into the refill options.

our town has a plastic recycling bin near city center. Thats where mine go. 36 bottles last year. I expect to triple that this year on a pool with 3 times the water. You might check and see if you have a bin nearby. Then you wont feel so bad about it.

our town has a plastic recycling bin near city center. Thats where mine go. 36 bottles last year. I expect to triple that this year on a pool with 3 times the water. You might check and see if you have a bin nearby. Then you wont feel so bad about it.

oh we have curbside recycling, it's just more than I'd like. But we go through like two gallons of milk and a dozen hard lemonade bottles eash week, so I try to keep it in perspective

Very similar here. I lose about 2 ppm per day since it has started getting warmer. Typically, I add about 24 oz of bleach every other day. I like to keep it around 7ppm. I don't want to risk getting algae again...after a year like last year.

After reading through these, I need to get my CYA up to 50. CYA has been hanging around 20-25. I have only used bleach since startup 2 years ago and get a good amount of splash out with 4 boys in it everyday all summer. I feared the CYA monster after reading all the stories here on TFP and was keeping it on the low side. Time to bump up CYA and use less bleach, I am putting a full jug almost every day to be on the safe side with our full NM sun and constant swimming of four boys. I'd like to go to a half jug or less daily.

Thanks for all the insight in this thread.

J.

After reading through these, I need to get my CYA up to 50. CYA has been hanging around 20-25. I have only used bleach since startup 2 years ago and get a good amount of splash out with 4 boys in it everyday all summer. I feared the CYA monster after reading all the stories here on TFP and was keeping it on the low side. Time to bump up CYA and use less bleach, I am putting a full jug almost every day to be on the safe side with our full NM sun and constant swimming of four boys. I'd like to go to a half jug or less daily.

Thanks for all the insight in this thread.

J.

dialing in your CYA to control FC usage is the true secret to the TFPC method. Get it dialed in perfect, and enjoy a TFP at as low of a cost as possible. Get it dialed in at start of season, re-check it mid season to make sure you are still good to go, make any adjustments needed.

also, from my experience, Jason has that pool calc dead on with the CYA calculations (all of them really) and if you have accurate test results, measure out and add EXACTLY the amount of stabilizer that is needed, when you test again you will be right at where you wanted to be.

I use one jug of 8.25% per day give or take and my CYA is just under 30. Some days I need more and occasionally I can skip a day. It really depends on how much mud my lab/otter mix tracks into the pool and whether he decides to drop something nasty in the pool like a 8 foot tree branch so he can retrieve it. Sometimes the things he drops in the pool is dirty and sinks which uses up a bunch of my FC. It really is my dog's pool... I just maintain it for him.

Attachments

• Scooby.jpg
    Scooby.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.