my brother is changing from pool stores & pucks to TFP & no pucks

he got a Taylor test kit and readings were off the chsrts:

CYA: 160-180
TA 220
FC 5
CC 5
TC 0
pH 8

w a 10,000 gal pool, how many gallons should he drain to reduce CYA to 50-60 range for now?

he had a mustard algae prob and told him w CYA prob do high, no amt of bleach will work

so, will drain and refill to get CYA & TA at a reasonable level. His kit did not have the CH agents so he’s reordering

Has an in ground CL based pool in Chandler AZ area.

thanks & pls advise

He needs to drain 2/3 of the pool. Around 7,000 gallons.

Chances are his CH is way high too. Just drain the entire pool volume and start fresh. Being in Chandler AZ, he has a very slim probability of the pool floating. Our fill water CH in Chandler is about 225-250 right out of the tap.

I drained my 12k pool a few weeks back as the CH was well over 1000 - cost about $30 to refill based on my water bill. Remind him if he is in the city limit of Chandler, he needs to drain to the sanitary sewer (cleanouts probably in front yard) as the city can fine him for draining to the street.

He can pick up 4 pounds of stabilizer at Walmart for about $15.
4 pounds of stabilizer added to a 10,000 gallon pool will add 40ppm CYA to the pool. 40-50 CYA is a good starting point in the southwest desert is a good starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.