Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Question
How long should I be running my Hayward 2.7 hp variable speed pump? speeds? I want to decrease my electric use if possible. I have read some people run there pump 24/7 2-4 hours high speed 4-8 medium and the rest of the time low. Is that really necessary?
My pool is 30,000 gallons,SWG water temp 78

Dawn,

If you have a SWCG you only need to run your pump at a speed that closes the flow switch and for long enough to generate the amount of chlorine your pool needs. Most likely that amount of time will also keep your pool well skimmed.

Other than that, you don't need to run your pump at all.

There is almost never a reason the run the pump faster that what makes the flow switch close. Unless you have an in-floor cleaning system or some massive waterfall you want to run or run a water-powered cleaner..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Darin
Thanks Jim. No waterfalls or anything fancy just your basic 16x40 rectangle also no heater. I’m a bit unclear on what speed my pump needs to be at to have the SWCG switch on. I set my SWG to 20% and have it running from 9-5 and that’s keeping my Chlorine at 4ppm.

Doesn’t seem like there is a definite answer on what percentage/length of time to run SWG, seems like people just play around until they find the right spot to produce the proper levels. Same with the pump. My pool is very new so I’m learning all I can to keep my water clear and levels correct.

Dawn,

Not at all true. Cell's pump out a specific amount of chlorine over a 24 hour period, based on the cell size. Pool Math lets you determine exactly how long your pump needs to run.

Tell me what specific saltwater system you have and what size cell you have.. I know you pool is 33K gallons.

You can tell what speed to run your pump by slowly increasing your pump's speed until the cell or control panel indicates that you have good flow.

It is not at all guess work.

Jim R.

Dawn,

Not at all true. Cell's pump out a specific amount of chlorine over a 24 hour period, based on the cell size. Pool Math lets you determine exactly how long your pump needs to run.

Tell me what specific saltwater system you have and what size cell you have.. I know you pool is 33K gallons.

You can tell what speed to run your pump by slowly increasing your pump's speed until the cell or control panel indicates that you have good flow.

It is not at all guess work.

Jim R.
Where is the calculator for how long I have 14K pool with Hayward T-15 cell.

*Download PoolMath
*Select Effects of adding in the hamburger menu
* put in your pool volume
* select your swg from the list by pressing the 🔍 the t-15 produces 1.47#/day
Adjust the run time / % to determine the fc you need to be produced (the average residential pool uses 2-4 ppm fc /day so 4ppm is a good starting point)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.