How long to run saltwater chlorinator

Ok. Tested FC last night and early this morning. It read 5.0 on both readings. CC was 0. I did notice the Aquapure computer of theSWG read No Flow when I checked it several last night and early this morning so I'm guessing it's something w the unit. I'm disconnecting the SWG tonight for inspection. Have not done this before. Anything to look for? The manual mentions scale but I'm not real sure how easy this is to inspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To run an OCLT make sure the SWG is set to 0% so it is not adding chlorine to the pool while it is on.

The sensor might be starting to fail and will switch between flow and no flow. That was the first symptom of the all my failed sensors when I had the Aquapure. If your sensor needs to be replaced make sure you get the latest design of sensor as we have had several reports now of the new design having much better results than the old sensors. I believe the new sensors have a small box inline with the cable.

So my tests today. The OCLT tested great. No loss of chlorine last night( the pumps and SWG did not run during that time). Took the SWG off, no sign of scale This particular unit is just 18 months old. The above comment mentioned possible new sensor. I will look into that.

Skylar. How did your sensor replacement work on your unit recently. Is it functioning better?My chlorine level is holding its own but I'm still suspicious that it's requiring a long amount of run time to do the job

Yes, scale is easy to see, it is white crusty build up.

And sorry, I was asleep at the wheel. 90+% of the time when a SWG is not keeping up with chlorine demand and it isn't giving warning lights it is due to an early algae bloom the pool. The signs are cloudiness, then slimy pool walls, then visible algae here and there and then green pool water. All combined with higher chlorine consumption and the filter clogging up faster. The rest of the time it is a dirty or failing cell or sensor.

The way to verify is to inspect and clean the cell to eliminate errors. And raise your FC to at least 10 ppm and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic matter in the pool consuming chlorine.
Hi I think this is what is happening for me now. I just converted to salt this year and just getting the hang of it. I shocked the pool once with liquid chlorine shock and I've been running the swg at 80% for 14 hrs a day for about a week. I had a ton of snacks in my pool because I have a mesh cover and I've been vaccuming. Almost got everything now. Also I noticed my cyanuric acid is on the low side. I'm assuming these are all contributing factors to my low FC level. Is there a guide somewhere that can help me determine what % and how many hours per day I should be running this to maintain adaquate fc levels? I am going to shock again tonight and add more cyanuric acid. How often do you guys shock with liquid chlorine while running the swg? Or do you just use the super chlorinate function?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.