How long to run pump after adding bleach and cya?

Thethreetheory77

Apr 8, 2020
Longwood, Florida
So I’ve been adding bleach consistently around five pm each evening after the sun is off the pool. The timer turns off at 7 pm. I run it from 2pm to 7pm ( I was running it 8 but I’m trying to run just the amount needed for clarity and chemical mixing). Is 2 hours sufficient enough to mix the bleach? And when adding cya how long should the pump run after? I’m using hth stabilizer to bump it to fifty (lost about 10 ppm last month due to rain and splash out). I added it directly in the skimmer and ran the pump for about 10 hours after adding. Fifty seems to be a good number for my pool with the amount of full sun and splashout. Pool looks great to me and crystal clear. I’m keeping my chlorine in target range. I dose a little higher to make up for the loss so it doesn’t dip below 7.

2 hours is overhill after bleach addition. Half an hour is more than enough. Throw a few kids in after adding and it'll be spread throughout the pool in a couple minutes! :D

For the CYA, try pouring it into a sock or nylon and set it in the skimmer. Then you can tell when it's all dissolved. And if it isn't dissolved by the time you want to shut off the pump, just lift it out and set it in a plastic bucket. Or a cutdown milk carton/bleach jug. Whatever. Then drop it in again when the pump is running again. Or leave the pump on until it's all gone.

People have had issues with stabilizer granules clumping up in a pipe bend and blocking flow. And it is an acid after all. Do you want it sitting in the filter, all concentrated, eating away at the metal parts? And again, you can't tell if it's all dissolved if you just pour it down the skimmer. That's why we recommend the sock method.

2 hours is overhill after bleach addition. Half an hour is more than enough. Throw a few kids in after adding and it'll be spread throughout the pool in a couple minutes! :D

For the CYA, try pouring it into a sock or nylon and set it in the skimmer. Then you can tell when it's all dissolved. And if it isn't dissolved by the time you want to shut off the pump, just lift it out and set it in a plastic bucket. Or a cutdown milk carton/bleach jug. Whatever. Then drop it in again when the pump is running again. Or leave the pump on until it's all gone.

People have had issues with stabilizer granules clumping up in a pipe bend and blocking flow. And it is an acid after all. Do you want it sitting in the filter, all concentrated, eating away at the metal parts? And again, you can't tell if it's all dissolved if you just pour it down the skimmer. That's why we recommend the sock method.
Oh thanks you that is helpful! Makes sense! I’ll put it in a sock in the skimmer next time. This was my first time adding cya so I just did what it said on the container ? it said to run for 12 hours so I’ll just keep putting it back in when pump is on if it’s not dissolved. I feel like I’ll be adding it a lot during the summer with Florida rain. I’m trying to keep it at fifty if my fc loss isn’t high. Otherwise I’ll bump to 60 max.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.