how long to heat pool with heat exchanger

May 29, 2013
hi folks,
i'm in the UK, so closed pool for this year
but I've been having trouble heating my pool to a good temperature, all summer I could only get it to around 21c bit too cold for Mrs to use

I have a oil boiler with a 45Kw heat exchanger, and a 3/4hp pool pump,
I run the boiler for around 6 hrs a day at 60c
pool is 12ft x 24ft x 4ft
solar cover fitted and it has a tent over the pool to reduce/stop the wind & rain

I've read the data sheets, but I'm at an age where I can't get my brain to work it out
is the heat exchanger too small or do I have to run the heat exchanger longer, or am I just wasting my money ?

Theoretically, you should be able to raise the pool temperature 1.6 degrees/hour assuming 80% of 45kw heat transfer. If you aren't getting that, perhaps there is something wrong with the heat exchanger or you are losing heat somewhere.

Have you measured the inlet vs outlet temperature of the heat exchanger?

Is 100% of the pump flow going through the exchanger or is some bypassed around the heat exchanger?

thanks for the reply
yes all the water is going though the heat exchanger, but I've not tested the inlet/outlet temperature
as I said I've shut pool down for winter
if the weather is fine this week i'll try to run boiler and pool to get the temperature of the in/outlets of the heat exchanger
what are the temperature differenances I should be seeing ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.