How long should I wait for salt levels to stabilize?

MHillyer

Jan 19, 2023
Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi All,

I'm a relatively new pool owner, and really new to trying to maintain it myself. My salt was pretty low (1200ppm) and I used the Pool Math app to determine how much salt to add based on the volume my pool builder said my pool was (25K gallons), but 12 hours later my Hayward app is registering way too much on the Instant Salt (4500ppm). I assume this is because it hasn't been fully distributed yet, and the bottom inlet of the pool is probably getting really salty water since the salt dissolved at the bottom of the pool.

So my question is: how long do you typically see having to wait before the salt is evenly distributed and you get an accurate reading?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.
When adding salt, you should turn off your SWCG. Then brush the pool thoroughly after adding salt. Then circulate water for at least 24 hrs.

How old was the water in the pool before you added salt? If it wasn't a fairly fresh fill you very well may have had a low level of salt in there already (its a byproduct from pool chems) and that plus what PoolMath said to add *could* take you over limits.

Always use a Taylor K-1766 Pool Salt Test to determine salt level. Do not trust the device for accuracy if you need to add salt.

Maddie :flower:

How old was the water in the pool before you added salt? If it wasn't a fairly fresh fill you very well may have had a low level of salt in there already (its a byproduct from pool chems) and that plus what PoolMath said to add *could* take you over limits.

Always use a Taylor K-1766 Pool Salt Test to determine salt level. Do not trust the device for accuracy if you need to add salt.

Maddie :flower:
I took a sample to Leslie's (no intent to buy from them, but thought a free digital test would be good), came back as 1200ppm, the chlorinator was reading 1300, so that seems to corroborate. I ran PoolMath with the 1200ppm starting number, it wanted 418 lbs to get to 3200ppm and it's been 36 hours and the chlorinator is still reading 4500. I know it's not a precise test but I'm still over 1000ppm above the target for PoolMath.

Your volume calculation may be a bit off. For this reason we always suggest that you add 3/4 of what poolmath calls for then retest & adjust accordingly when adding larger amounts of salt, cya, & ch.

You can start with the calculator at the bottom of the old poolmath page
& this one

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.