How long does it take for CYA to show up on a test?

Quickstep192

Silver Supporter
Jun 30, 2022
Annapolis MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I need to raise my CYA level after re-filling after winter.

I’m trying to sneak up on it since it’s such a pain to lower if you overshoot.

I’m dissolving the CYA in hot water and pouring it in as it dissolves. I’ve checked the CYA level and don’t see a change.

Does it take a full circulation cycle before the CYA increase shows up in a test?

Studies have shown that when we dissolve using the sock method, most of the CYA shows up the next day. In your case, pre dissolving should render an increase the next day as well. But that 10-15 ppm testing variance could be the culprit.

Last edited:
Studies have shown that when we dissolve using the sock method, most of the CYA shows up the next day. In your case, pre dissolving should render an increase the next day as well. But that 10-15 ppm testing balance could be the culprit.
What do you mean by “testing balance”? That’s a new term for me.

Is that a margin of error in the testing?
I struggle with the CYA test because I sometimes think the dot is gone and the it looks like it re-appears.

I find it can take 3 to 4 days for dry stabilizer to fully show in my CYA tests.

Assume that the PPM you calculated with PoolMath is in the water and be patient. Give it a few days before you test and add mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.