How long did your SWG Cell last before replacement?

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
I was just curious if the SWG decrease production over the years.
I have one that is 4 1/2 years old and seems to put out less than it did when new.
Should I start looking for a new one?

How long did your Goldline/Hayward SWG Cell last before you replaced it?

Hi Iggy,

Have you tried soaking it in an acid solution? In my experience it shouldn't decrease output like you are describing unless there is an issue with calcification. The average life for a t-cell is 3-5 years. The longest I've ever heard of one lasting was about 7 years.

Christian said:
Hi Iggy,

Have you tried soaking it in an acid solution? In my experience it shouldn't decrease output like you are describing unless there is an issue with calcification. The average life for a t-cell is 3-5 years. The longest I've ever heard of one lasting was about 7 years.

I clean mine when needed. I just asked as it seems that I have to increase my percentage of time on to get a set result of chlorine.
I was just wondering how long they last. 7 years is really along time. I'm planning on finding a replacement and maybe keep this one as a backup.
Thanks

you need to take it out and inspect it for scaling and build up...if it has some, you'll need to clean the cell with muriatic acid. My unit is a self cleaning model..but I still take the cell out and inspect it each season. I am on 4 seasons now with mine and still going strong.

August will be my 7th year. I am starting to see some decrease in output as well although there are other factors that can contribute to that. For the same cell size, theoretically, a smaller pool should have a longer cell life since it doesn't need to be on as long.

We're on our third season with our cell. I have found that I've had to increase the output percentage but I'm wondering if that is because it's been very hot and humid here. I did just clean my cell and there was some junk in there.

This is my 10th year with my SWG. I just replaced my cell for the 2nd time. That is to say I'm on my third cell. First two lasted ~4 years. 40K cell on a 12K pool running 6-8 hours a day for 365 days at 60-70% output. I'll freely admit I had no idea what I was doing with my pool for the last 10 years. Someone somewhere along the line told me about CYA so I added that every once and a while, I use powdered shock every once and a while and didn't pay too close attention to my PH (or anything else). I would occasionally check the cell and clean off the scaling with MA.

So in short, they last about 4 years if you almost completely neglect them. :)

CLB

Reactions: Neworldjef

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
calm_like_a_bomb said:
This is my 10th year with my SWG. I just replaced my cell for the 2nd time. That is to say I'm on my third cell. First two lasted ~4 years. 40K cell on a 12K pool running 6-8 hours a day for 365 days at 60-70% output. I'll freely admit I had no idea what I was doing with my pool for the last 10 years. Someone somewhere along the line told me about CYA so I added that every once and a while, I use powdered shock every once and a while and didn't pay too close attention to my PH (or anything else). I would occasionally check the cell and clean off the scaling with MA.

So in short, they last about 4 years if you almost completely neglect them. :)

CLB

WOW! So you run your pool pump 8 hrs a day year round. Hate to see your electric bill.
During the winter I run 45% 4hrs every other day and it maintains the clear water as well at 1.5 to 2.5 Chlorine levels.
Late Spring and summer months I run it at 65% 4 hours a day every day and maintains 1.5 to 2 chlorine level
I also clean my filters at least 3 to 4 times a year as here in Arizona we have lots of dust.

iggy said:
WOW! So you run your pool pump 8 hrs a day year round. Hate to see your electric bill.
During the winter I run 45% 4hrs every other day and it maintains the clear water as well at 1.5 to 2.5 Chlorine levels.
Late Spring and summer months I run it at 65% 4 hours a day every day and maintains 1.5 to 2 chlorine level
I also clean my filters at least 3 to 4 times a year as here in Arizona we have lots of dust.

Yep, I run it at night though and we are on a time fo day plan 9pm-9am the rates are much cheaper than 9am-9pm. The summer the bill is ~$425 the winter its ~$120, but we pay $220 a month on the "equalizer" program.

I'm still trying to dial in the new SWG cell, i've got it set to 50% now, and had to turn if off for a few days. I'll turn it down a few notches and see where I'm at.

CLB

My pool is open year-round. I run the pumps 8 hrs April - November and down to a low of 4 hrs in mid winter. T-15 cell lasted 6+ years. The system kept reading lower and lower salt levels. I just kept boosting the salt to keep it working until my real salt level was approaching double what the reading were showing and I needed to set it at 80-90% to maintain chlorine levels. But, it was still generating when I gave up and replaced it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.