How long can I safely leave my pool empty?

IMV8N

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas
I have some electrical work that needs to be done on my pool lights. I have been planning an acid wash anyways. I would like to go to home depot and rent the pump and drain my pool and spa. My friend was telling me that I shouldn't empty the pool in dead of summer due to potential cracking. I am just wondering if there is anything to worry about as we head into winter as well? Also I travel for work so I wont be able to work on the pool as often as I would like and I expect it take about a month and possibly two before I can refill the pool. Just wondering if there are any issues with leaving it drained for that long?

There is risk to the plaster, but not likely a great one. The acid wash will do a lot of damage, be sure you want to do that.

Lots of abandoned houses had drained pools.

Hi, and welcome to TFP! What type of pool do you have? And how old is the finish? Non-plaster pools can collapse without water in them. All pools can float out of the ground if the surrounding water table is high enough. Plaster pool finishes can also come apart without the pressure of the water pushing against the pool walls.

Since you mentioned acid washing, that might mean you have a plaster-based finish. Acid washing removes part of your plaster finish. It does not just magically attack and remove just calcium or other stains. The acid "melts" off the surface of the finish and takes the stains with it, leaving your pool less than what it was before, which will reduce the longevity of the finish.

My pool was destroyed by an acid wash, and given the same conditions again I would live with the stains and call it a day. I've vowed to never acid wash my pool again. And by the way, before the finish started falling apart because of the acid, the results of the wash didn't make the pool look a whole lot better. Different, maybe slightless less calcium deposits, but not better, and definitely not good by any standards.

Sorry, all in all your plan is not likely a good one. Other than fixing the lights, which usually can be done without emptying any water, but at most would require only a partial drain for less than a day, why do you need to leave your pool empty for months?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.