Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We recently moved into a house with an existing, older pool. We just replaced all of the equipment and the plumber made a statement that he wasn't getting any suction from the main drain.

I dove down, took the drain cover off, and see there is a black rubber plug in the drain that seems to be held in with a threaded plastic rod.

Pool company is saying we need to deal with this but I'm kinda wondering how important this is. I talked to the previous home owner and he said (and I believe him) that he's unaware of a problem with the drain.

For further context, the side vac port has also been plugged off with a cap for whatever reason.

So best case, maybe someone plugged this when they were refinishing the pool and forgot to remove it? And worst case, we have a leak if I remove the plug?

Do I care? Is this something that Def needs to be addressed and if so, what sort of mess would this be?

Main drains aren't necessary. If everything is watertight in the current configuration, I wouldn't do anything.

My current pool was built without a main drain or suction port, which completely eliminates the chance of problems/leaks with those systems.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'd almost like to pull the plug and watch the water level. I'm curious just as long as it's easy to plug back up before it's too far gone.

But at least now I know I can forgo any recommended costly investigation and/or repairs.

Are you sure you’re looking at the MD and not the hydrostatic valve?

If you do investigate the plumbing, only remove one plug at a time to see if the pipes are leaking.

Yeah. Don’t touch it. It’s not VGBA Compliant and so even if or doesn’t leak then it’s a suction entrapment hazard. If you were to ever resurface the pool, you should just fill it in with hydraulic cement and be done with it. Then cut and cap the pipe at the pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm guessing to make something VGB compliant, its more than just changing the cover? And there's some substantial plubming involved? which can't be easy nor cheap as this is obviously at the deep end under the pool

Reactions: TBizzle
You need to add a 2nd drain to the original pipe that is 3ft away. There is no easy cosmetic way to do it.

If the renovation work is extensive enough, the whole thing has to be brought up to code and many people choose to abandon the drain because they are already spending alot of coin.

Reactions: heckofagator
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.