How important is hardness in a vinyl lined pool?

Jul 24, 2017
Fayetteville/GA
My CH reading was only 50, the laminated instruction sheet on the test kit says 250-400 is normal. Considering I have no masonry directly touching the pool at any point, is this something I need to worry about or can I leave the water nice and soft? As I mentioned the walls and bottom of the pool have a vinyl liner and the steps are a hard plastic shell.

It's not a big deal, one way or the other. Normally around here people advice that you don't add it because it's not required. Personally I like the feel of harder water for swimming, and if you buy Calcium chloride deicer from Home Depot in the winter time, a 50 lb bag is about $20, so it's plenty cheap.

I've been running with zero CH in our pool for almost 10 years and have never had a problem.

The only reason to add CH to a fully vinyl lined pool is to maintain the warranty of equipment where the mfg. states a specific range in order to protect the warranty. (i.e. heaters, etc.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.