Apr 2, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I cleaned my filter today and as I was putting pressure back on it the bottom plug blew out. It fired like a shot, breaking where the threads meet the larger piece of plastic that makes up the screwable part of the plug. So, I was left with one half of the plug in my hand, and the other half still threaded into the bottom of my filter. I thought I'd explain the process I used to get the threaded piece of plug out without destroying my filter, in case this might help others.

Long story short - I ultimately cut a notch into the top edge of the plug threads using a box cutter blade / exacto knife. Then, I inserted a long flat head screw driver into the notche at an angle and hit it gently with my rubber hammer. This caused the plug to twist in place and begin unscrewing. Once the plug shifted out of range of my first notch, I used the box cutter to cut another one and repeated the process. The plug kept unscrewing! I determined that it was easier to unscrew the threads INTO the filter, i.e. make the threads travel upwards into the filter vs. going the other way. Once the threads were high enough above the plug hole inside the filter, I was able to use a wrench to unscrew the plug threads the rest of the way without damaging the filter in any way.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, since it really did the trick.

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.