TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This seems like a topic that may have come up in the past, but searching didn't find it.

I wonder how full you all let your pump's leaf pot get before emptying it. For me, it's a minor pain because my pump is lower than the pool and water spills everywhere when I remove the cover; I have no valve to close to prevent that.

Here's the current state of my leaf pot. I don't know how this stuff gets past the hair nets and skimmer baskets, but there it is. Water flow is fine, but there are the organics, rotting in the leaf pot. Empty it now, or leave it?

I was always a big fan of the skimmer socks (other people use hair nets, etc..) but the socks are cheap and last a long time. I think Amazon has a ten pack for $10. One or two would last a whole season for me.

I emptied the skimmers daily or more often as needed. Very rarely had to empty the pot in front of the pump. Only if something got swept in while I was emptying the skimmer.

sounds like the OP does use hair nets, but still has debris in the pump basket.
Indeed. The debris must be going through the main drain or the in-wall skimmer equalizer even though I have the flying saucers set wide open to skim.

I didn't realize I coined the term "leaf pot". :giggle: I guess "pump basket" is the right term.

Funny story, so the first time I manually vacuumed my first pool
I did not yet have one of those inline leaf canisters. There were always pine needles
in the pool thanks to the giant fir trees nearby.

So I go to vac all of those out and near the end I notice the suction doesn't seem too great.

Turn off the pump, open the pump basket. It is CRAMMED full of pine needles and split the basket!

Ask me if that ever happened again? lol.

Later that winter I went to turn the pump on and it just hummed.
A clump of pine needles had jammed the impeller.
That's when I started using skimmer socks.
Now I just use the home depot 1 gallon paint strainer nets.

Last edited:
For me, it's a minor pain because my pump is lower than the pool and water spills everywhere when I remove the cover; I have no valve to close to prevent that
Of course a Jandy-type valve is best but remove the skimmer basket and try a tennis ball in the hole.....might work well enough.

My basket used to float up every now and then when the pump was off. This would allow some stuff to fall below the skimmer basket and get sucked in when the pump was turned back on.

Mine did that too, after putting in one of those skimmer socks (not a hair net or paint strainer). I ended up putting a big rock in to keep it down.

Reactions: Shirker

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
can you put rubber stoppers in the holes under your skimmer baskets to temporarily restrict the water flow into the skimmer lines while you empty the pot?
Of course a Jandy-type valve is best but remove the skimmer basket and try a tennis ball in the hole.....might work well enough.
D'oh! Thank you guys! Why didn't I think of that? I actually have a couple of Gizzmos lying around. I plugged the skimmers and for the first time since I've owned this pool, I was able to take my time cleaning the basket & lubing the o-ring.

I often think of people on Internet forums as my imaginary friends. You just got a promotion to real friends. :)

Thanks a lot Squirrel... I went to check my FC this morning and decided to make an adjustment. The timer typically runs noon to 8pm, so I had to turn it on to make the adjustment. I couldn't get this post out of my head since you coined the term 'leaf pot'. I was trying my God given best to not be so OCD about opening it every time a leaf or two makes it through the system, but I couldn't help myself. Sooooo, the five captive leafs have been set free to return to their natural habitat. I tried...

• Haha
Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Thanks a lot Squirrel... I went to check my FC this morning and decided to make an adjustment. The timer typically runs noon to 8pm, so I had to turn it on to make the adjustment. I couldn't get this post out of my head since you coined the term 'leaf pot'. I was trying my God given best to not be so OCD about opening it every time a leaf or two makes it through the system, but I couldn't help myself. Sooooo, the five captive leafs have been set free to return to their natural habitat. I tried...
I hope you disposed of the leaves, rather then just tossing them aside. They could blow back into the pool.

Of course you could sit there and diligently watch them to make sure they stay exactly where they are supposed to.

Reactions: jtpipkin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.