Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Newbie here! (Full disclosure - I have no idea what I'm doing.)

I have a Hayward Swimclear filter, with a 3/4 inch hose bib attached. We hooked up a garden hose to it, and I need to let out a few inches of water (heavy rain recently). I opened the hose bib valve, and the water just trickles out. Should it drain faster?
It has been running for at least 6 hours and I may have dropped an inch.. maybe.

Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum!
To make it go out that outlet faster you need pinch closed the return valves to your pool. Be very careful to not dead head your pump.
Better is to buy a sump pump and use that to drain water.
I am surprised your pool does not have an overflow system.
Please fill out your signature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the quick reply. I added info to my signature.

If it had an overflow system, what would that look like? I don’t recall being told anything about that. Thanks again!

The overflow is normally a grated outlet located along the pool wall just above the normal pool water level. Or it can be in a skimmer with an outlet above the normal pool water level. The water would then drain out to an area lower in your landscape.

I guess we do have that. There's a drain running along a retaining wall about 5 feet away from the edge of the pool (the other side would roll downhill)

When you say pinch closed the return valves...? I really need to get the guy to come back out who installed our system to slowly explain this all to me.

Post some pictures of the equipment pad, we can help you out.

Is the overflow drain working?

First pic is the pad
Second pic shows the drain along the wall
Third pic shows the edge of pool, deck, and drain
(the pool hasn’t overflowed, and is a good level now.. I just want to understand if it should take this long to drain)
Let me know if any other angles would be helpful
Thanks!!

87D31455-EF72-4B5A-A240-F1C64D67FF25.jpeg

0AE4D9D8-0CDA-4D89-B17C-E19083FF373F.jpeg
085FD262-90B4-4677-8855-35ADEE511532.jpeg

The channel drain you show in picture 2 is for your deck. For the pool there should be one along the pool wall just above the normal pool water level. In the pool

The return valve is the one on the left in Picture 1.

The hose I see is connected to the filter drain. Is that a DE filter? Please update your signature with your pump and type of filter. Also pool volume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My overflow looks like this.. (hope it helps!) I drained the pool today, so I had a good view of it. Good luck!!

Attachments

• 66854E0B-DA8F-4292-A0F7-D79E74C73729.jpeg
    66854E0B-DA8F-4292-A0F7-D79E74C73729.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.