How does the well point work, and how quickly can you move water from it?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I have a smaller diameter pipe that runs downward and under the pool on the deep end. I asked about it a long time ago and it was decided that it was a well point (I think that's the correct term). I have a ton of drainage issues in my back yard that I can't do much about. Most of the water accumulated around my pool and due to the heavy clay just hangs out. Considering my pool is somewhat dug up due to me replacing the pipes with the concrete ripped out I was going to ask about a sump system. But then I got to thinking about that well point again. First of all I use it, I shove a garden hose down inside until it stops and run a small transfer pump. It can take many hours but it will completely drain the area. I tried a larger transfer pump but the garden hose (even heavy duty) but squeezes itself off sadly. So than I started to wonder what exactly is down there? I have no idea how it works, such as does it have a screen or is the inlet surrounded by rock?

Anyhow I was wondering how hard you can pull from the pipe, is it possible to hook a larger transfer pump to the pipe itself and not feed a hose down? Or would that suck too hard and end up pulling out whatever is down there? Obviously I am asking this to avoid trying to figure out how to install a sump and just drain the water after rains from this pipe.

Thanks for the help!

Garden hoses don't work. Try a PVC intake hose-it's heavy duty and won't collapse. We use a transfer pump occasionally to move water and it works great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.